Contribute
Register

Update Directly to macOS Catalina

Success upgrading from Mojave to Catalina15.3!
I upgraded Clover from r4938 to r5102,installed latest Alc,Lilu and WhateverGreen to clover/kexts/other.

Screen Shot 2020-03-13 at 1.18.17 PM.jpg

Held off on doing this all this time, worried it would break my dev environment, then did it on my MacBook Pro the other day to see what it was like, loved it, even the change from bash to zsh (especially after installing ohmyzsh :) ), and so had to try on my Hackintosh.
  1. Create full clone of working macOS system drive using Clonezilla.
  2. Update kexts (EFI -> CLOVER -> kexts -> Other) to latest available versions (AppleALC-v1.4.7, FakeSMC-v6.26-322-g1b20eab7.1765, IntelMausiEthernet-v2.5.0, Lilu-v1.4.2, USBInjectAll-v0.7.3, WhateverGreen-v1.3.7).
  3. Update Clover to latest available version (v5106).
  4. Check system boots into macOS with these changes.
  5. If so, run Install macOS Catalina.app.
  6. Success!

Screen Shot.png

Thanks MrNarrow

I updated straight from High Sierra using your method with success.

Last edited:
The description here says update directly from Mojave to Catalina - Can the direct App Store update method be used to update directly from Yosemite to Catalina as well?

Updated to Catalina 10.15.4 (19E287) from Mojave 10.14.6 with issues.

Updated couldn't start because error
apfs_module_start: 1689 panic

Solved by adding SSDT_EC:aml in /EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/apfs_module_start-1689-panic.294246/

Then updating started, took ~30-40 min

But after update I got another error:

begin gfx firmware load process retry

It happened because I forgot to update Lilu and WheneverGreen to the latest version.

I added bootflag to clover -disablegfxfirmware and successfully booted, then I updated Lilu and WhenewerGreen and the issue has gone

Thank you tonymac!

Back