Contribute
Register

Update Directly to macOS Catalina

Is there going to be USB Installer creation Instruction set posted at some point? If I erase my hard drive I don't want to have to reinstall Mojave in order to get to Catalina.

Am I the crazy one here? If so, then I'll shut up. But I'd like to be able to create a Catalina USB installer.

This was by-far the toughest install ever. I've been hackingtoshing since El Capitan, but this one drove me cRaZy! The one thing I can say is I've learned a few things along the way to a successful install of Catalina 10.15.2. My advice? Walk away when you get frustrated; but NEVER give up. I've been trying for about a week now and early this morning - "paydirt".

The thing that drove me nuts was getting a black screen and when I didn't get a black screen it was only because I couldn't even get past Clover. I confess, I don't know what I'm doing most of the time. I'm one of those kind of guys who doesn't like reading the instructions. I'll give in every now and then, otherwise, its just a matter of trial and error. One thing I learned? Less is more, when it comes to the configplist in the EFI. I started having success when I left off a lot of what entries I'd made trying to get it to work. WTH, now we're getting somewhere. One bit of advice. Backup your good install of Mojave. I've been dual booting Mac OSX for awhile, most times, it seems more trouble than its worth. Windows dosen't even boot in this, my self built machine. BTW, this makes my second build. (computer).

Last night I gave Catalina another try. This time I just let my machine keep going. I knew the system had installed, but I couldn't see it for that black screen. I went to bed hoping when I woke this morning I'd be greeted by Catalina, but it wasn't to be. I knew she was there, she was just hiding from me. So I had a thought: Remove the DVI cable from my Radeon RX580 graphics card and plug it into my Asus Prime Z270-A motherboard for Intel Graphics. Was Catalina hiding there? YES, she was and everything worked. Sound, internet, my reolink security cameras came up, Quicktime. My applications, I'd installed in Mojave! They were all there and they worrked. Most times I have a terrible time getting sound to work. But this time I started with a very stable install of Mojave and when I did the Direct Update (according to tonymack.com instructions, err what I'd read of it) I was pleasantly surprised that it was all there. Now to solve the problem of the black screen and having to use Intel Graphics instead of my radeon card.

I continued to play around with my configplist, changing a setting that made it impossible to even get into Catalina though the onboard Intel Graphics. I tried everything and then I remembered I had a clean install of Mojave. I could just boot it up and open Catalina's config files bad setting (in Mojave) and change what I'd changed back to what had worked. There is always a way to get things back to where they once belonged. Joe Joe.

So I'm not exactly sure how I finally got it all to work, but I did and it makes me feel much better. Here is a screen shot of my "About this Mac". Notice the Graphics entry: RX 580 8 GB. Now to find something else to repair.
Happy Holidays, Folks. NEVER GIVE UP.

Screen Shot 2019-12-20 at 6.03.34 PM.png

Last edited:
I found this on the net... It works flawlessly. I have used it on more than one different configuration... Thank you AudioGod!!!!

your most welcome sir,
I have a much better updated version of my EFI now on my thread. :)

KNOCK ON WOOD, but I did a straight update right from System Prefs from Mojave to Catalina and everything looks fine. It also didn't take too long (about 20-30 min.). BT works, audio works, network works.

I'm still running Sierra (10.12) , can I update directly to macOS Catalina?
Yes you can. You must change your graphics first though. The 1070 is not supported. No drivers. The question you should ask your self first is: What does Catalina offer that I really can't live without ? Also, research into what you'll be losing when you upgrade. It's probably the wiser course of action to try Mojave first with a supported AMD card, see if that gives you what you need and then try Catalina at the .4 update when most bugs/problems should be worked out.

Hopefully we'll get UniBeast installer soon :clap:
We're dealing with Apple's new policy for Apple approved apps. See

Yes you can. You must change your graphics first though. The 1070 is not supported. No drivers. The question you should ask your self first is: What does Catalina offer that I really can't live without ? Also, research into what you'll be losing when you upgrade. It's probably the wiser course of action to try Mojave first with a supported AMD card, see if that gives you what you need and then try Catalina at the .4 update when most bugs/problems should be worked out.
Thank you for the heads up! I will upgrade to Mojave then. I'm assuming that Mojave has the drivers available for the 1070? I don't have an AMD graphics card unfortunately :(

Back