Contribute
Register

Update Directly to macOS Catalina

I created a USB installation drive using the present UniBeast and renaming the downloaded version of Catalina that was saved in Applications to Mojave. Once completed, I renamed the created installation to Catalina. It works.View attachment 435301View attachment 435302View attachment 435303View attachment 435304
I, too, tried to use UniBeast v9.2.0 for Mojave by renaming the downloaded MAS Catalina installer app to "Install macOS Mojave". But, as with others, UniBeast v9.2.0 hung. I noticed that it took the USB named thumb drive and changed it to "Insall macOS Catalina". I tried this method on my 2017 MacBook Pro.

So, @billbrown what's your secret?

I think that's not possible. I think UniBeast is looking for a hash of the installation file.

Is Multibeast a thing of the past? It has been over two months, and no Multibeast for Catalina!

MultiBeast and UniBeast will be released- 10.15.2 should be a good step toward Catalina stability. I have yet to update my main CustoMac to Catalina.

Last edited:
Worked flawlessly on my NUC (NUC5i7RYB).

Much appreciated.

Direct update from 10.14.6 to 10.15.2: update lilu, AppleALC, whateverGreen with Clover r4920.
I also have RX 560 DP/HDMI issue: my DP doesn't work, I don't use HDMI; follow @Chandler2 's method
modify config.plist to add InjectATI solves the issue.

I could easily upgrade from Mojave 10.4.6 to Catalina and recently to 10.5.2!
I didn't change anything in my Mojave Clover.
The only issue I have is with VoodooPS2controller.kext unblessing my Synaptics Touchpad on Xiaomi Air13 I5...

I wanted to detail how I upgraded to Catalina just in case others are having a similar issue. I did not have an easy upgrade process when trying to upgrade a rather fresh install of Mojave with Clover r4910 doing an in place upgrade. First problem was that I was being halted upon that AFPS NVMe loading error which was kind of fixed by placing SSDT-EC file into clover acpi patched folder but still could not get to drmos being loaded. So these are the steps I took:

1. Installed Catalina manually from within a terminal window onto a 16GB GUID partitioned macOS Journaled USB key using this command:

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Catalina.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/USB

Assuming your USB key volume name is 'USB' and the Catalina installer is in your application folder.

2. Mounted the EFI partition of that USB key using Clover Configurator or manually (forgot how, shame on me) and installed Clover r5100 onto it either by copying the EFI folder directly from the Clover installer package onto that partition or running the installer onto it. Had issues with the Clover installer doing nothing when clicked so had to browse the package to find that folder and copy it myself. Later found a working copy of the Clover installer for r5100 that actually worked. Not only that, Clover 4910 for me had issues so strongly recommend you upgrade Clover.

3. Copy your original config.plist file from the Mojave installer or your current install onto the Clover folder on your USB key. This was critical for me as the default config.plist file must have had an incorrect system definition which caused the loading process bork.

4. Copy the SSDT-EC file into the patched folder on the USB key EFI partition.

5. Also don't forget to copy FakeSMC into the kext folder of your USB key EFI partition. The one from Mojave worked fine and found no reason to try the VirtualSMC kext that I saw that some people said worked for them.

Thats about it. Hope this helps someone.

I have just updated my Asus H87/Intel 4770 to Catalina from Mojave by following the guide and everything worked fine except the sound which was fixed by using the Sound Fix Catalina files on the Catalina Desktop Support page. Even my IBM M1015 HBA Raid card worked which was a pleasant surprise. The only issue I had during the update was on rebooting for the first time during install when it automatically booted the Preboot partition on the Clover screen and install failed. Make sure you do not allow Preboot to load on reboot.
Update.
Opening the App Store caused the system to freeze. I replaced Lilu and WG with the latest versions as suggested in the forum and issue was fixed. I have tested the system fully and the only other issue I can find is that the wifi is non existent but I use ethernet so not a problem. All things considered it was an easy update.

Attachments

• Cat.png
    Cat.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 223
  • Audio.png
    Audio.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 217
  • AppStore.png
    AppStore.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 205
  • Display.png
    Display.png