Contribute
Register

Update Directly to macOS Catalina

No, the web drivers stopped at High Sierra, 10.13.6
I've been out of the hackintosh news for a while. Guess I'll have to stick with Sierra for now. Thank you for your help!

m
Anyone else getting this "You must be running macOS Catalina 10.15 or later..." ? Trying to update from Mojave 10.14.5 to Catalina. Clover is ver. 5070, restarted but still can't update.

Thanks.

View attachment 429158
make sure the disk you installing to is APFS

All went smoothly.

Screenshot 2020-02-14 at 21.16.39.png

This is exactly the process I used a couple of months ago, and it worked perfectly from Mojave on my Xiaomi laptop i5 end 2016!

Up and running here on my Asus Z170i, i7 7700, RX570 - direct upgrade from 10.4

Ran into some minor snags, but was able to get past them due to some advice i found here.

Steps followed:
  • Updated Clover and Kexts first and rebooted to ensure they were working properly
  • Launched Catalina installer in Mojave
  • Upon reboot into Catalina installer, the system would hang at the Apple logo with only a small amount of progress on the bar
  • Booted back into Mojave and added SSDT-EC.AML to EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched/ - Install then proceeded normally (though it was slow - seems to be par for the course with this release)
  • In Clover, I kept selecting the Install partition each reboot and let it run its course until the Install partition disappeared, then i was able to select the standard OS partition
  • Upon first launch into Catalina, the progress bar at the Apple logo would progress all the way to the end, then it would KP and reboot
  • Added -disablegfxfirmware to my Clover boot and voila! Working perfectly!

Sincere thanks to P1LGRIM for his comments around the forum, as I was able to resolve based on his various posts.

Looks like i do need to update my SMBIOS, etc. so that i'm able to take advantage of some of the new features (like Sidecar). I've been using 14,2 for quite awhile so bumping up to 19,2 (and adjusting UUID and Serial accordingly) should hopefully work.

I also need to resolve the playback issue with the TV app, but it seems i should be able to do so by adding some settings in whatevergreen.

Wish me luck!

Back