Contribute
Register

Update Directly to macOS Catalina

I created a USB installation drive using the present UniBeast and renaming the downloaded version of Catalina that was saved in Applications to Mojave. Once completed, I renamed the created installation to Catalina. It works.
Screen Shot 2019-11-10 at 6.59.13 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-11-10 at 7.01.28 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-11-10 at 7.02.37 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-11-10 at 7.03.49 AM.png

I was able to install Catalina from Mojave and working audio directly into another partition of my SSD. Only issue was getting the correct working Clover since the latest wasn't working.

Now, the only problem is, after I migrated over, besides not in the data part in apfs but now it won't work with my graphics card. And no audio. Easy come, easy go. Already restore my backup efi before/after migrating. (this is not my sabertooth/asrock mobo)

Last edited:
Updated to 10.15.1 without. :)

Direct update worked for me from Mojave 10.14.6 to Catalina 10.15.1. Ensured Clover and kexts were up to date, no problems at all during install and minimal clean-up needed doesn't seem to be Hackintosh-specific judging from Google results.

More information is available in this separate thread. This was on a Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP5 TH motherboard with Intel 3770K and GeForce 650 TI.

This is a great article:

During the upgrade from a previous macOS to Catalina, Apple moves any files that are located in a path that can no longer be written by the user to the Home directory’s Shared folder in “Relocated Items.”

When you start up Catalina, you don’t see two volumes on the desktop—just one, and it’s named as you would expect, with the plain name of your volume as you set it. Apple manages that trick by hiding the “- Data” volume, even though it’s mounted, and using firmlinks to make sure all the files in the Home directory and other read/write areas of macOS are mapped to the correct place.

This only gets confusing when things go awry. I’ve heard from several readers and read in a number of forums that the Data volume sometimes appears on the Desktop as another accessible volume. One reader even found that Time Machine refused to run after they had updated to Catalina because it found two copies of the “iMac - Data” volume, possibly because the reader had a backup mounted.

I don’t yet have an explanation as to why this happens, although it may have to do with the significant updates required for disk cloning software to work correctly with volume groups, firm links, and Catalina. If you clone or copy your Catalina startup volume with a utility not yet ready for Catalina or while booted into Mojave, it’s likely you create two disconnected volumes instead of a unified Catalina whole. (Carbon Copy Cloner is ready for Catalina; Shirt Pocket’s SuperDuper! update is in its final beta testing stage.)

[ Further reading: Learn more about macOS Catalina ]

Time Machine can backup a Catalina startup volume group to a HFS+ drive, although you should only attempt to interact with such a backup within Catalina—in Mojave, Time Machine won’t know precisely how to deal with it.

Any word when an official installation walkthrough (just like previous macOS versions) will be realeased with Multibeast and Unibeast support?

I created a USB installation drive using the present Unibeast and renaming the downloaded version of Catalina that was saved in Applications to Mojave. Once completed, I renamed the created installation to Catalina. It works.View attachment 435301View attachment 435302View attachment 435303View attachment 435304

To me none works. I was hoping. It comes up to the installation of the bootloader then stops.

Another thing that happens to me: at the Boot, it tells me this signal:
AMF: Only 128/256 slide values are enabled! Valid slides: 128 - 255 ... then it stops.

Last edited by a moderator:
I created a USB installation drive using the present Unibeast and renaming the downloaded version of Catalina that was saved in Applications to Mojave. Once completed, I renamed the created installation to Catalina. It works.

I'm trying this now.
I assume you're trying a clean install. What did you use for Post Installation?

Update: Unibeast v9.2.0 seems to hang... What version of Unibeast did you use?

Last edited:
I'm trying this now.
I assume you're trying a clean install. What did you use for Post Installation?

Update: Unibeast v9.2.0 seems to hang... What version of Unibeast did you use?

... as a previous post, it also happens to me that Unibeast hangs ... we hope for help

Back