Contribute
Register

Update Directly to macOS Big Sur

bad luck doesn't work. i'm on catalina 10.15.7 supplemental update installed and working fine with icloud imessage etc on clover r5120, this is what i've done:
i try to update to r5126 and all kext updated, then from app store i've downloaded big sur, start to install, then during the first reboot no boot on big sur install icon on clover selection. so i restored my EFI folder that i've previously saved with r5120 and i'm be able to come back to catalina.

any ideas how to fix it?

my config is
z390 aorus pro
i7 9700k
rx 580
ssd nvme 512gb samsung 970 pro
I was in the same spot as you, Skylake build, Clover r5126 with updated SMBIOS for supported system. Boom after first restart dead Hack and 0 help in support about this case. The only noticeable help was ditch CLOVER. Created a Big Sur install USB with fresh OpenCore EFI with all the basic kext and multi system support aml. Properly generated and migrated my config.plist to OC config.plist with the help of OpencoreConfigurator with visual boot menu. After that i was able to boot my USB install with OC EFI and do a reinstall, with every reboot selecting the OC boot method. It took some time since Big Sur is big like 4 or so reboots with scary output on the screen, since i was on OC debug version. But after that i got to Big Sur everything working. All the is left now is to do a POST install of OC by removing clover and setting OC

I was in the same spot as you, Skylake build, Clover r5126 with updated SMBIOS for supported system. Boom after first restart dead Hack and 0 help in support about this case. The only noticeable help was ditch CLOVER. Created a Big Sur install USB with fresh OpenCore EFI with all the basic kext and multi system support aml. Properly generated and migrated my config.plist to OC config.plist with the help of OpencoreConfigurator with visual boot menu. After that i was able to boot my USB install with OC EFI and do a reinstall, with every reboot selecting the OC boot method. It took some time since Big Sur is big like 4 or so reboots with scary output on the screen, since i was on OC debug version. But after that i got to Big Sur everything working. All the is left now is to do a POST install of OC by removing clover and setting OC

I would caution anyone who's not just experimenting to back up and even hold off on Big Sur for a while. I've added a reference note for Clover to the top post.

That said, I've been experimenting trying to use Clover r5126 on a variety of systems with success. I've been trying to cut options down to make a universal-type Clover EFI for UniBeast usage. The issue is that many systems need a customized EFI or different Quirks options. I'm hoping to be able to post something for an example soon.

Right now I can boot Intel 7 Series, 8 Series, and 9 Series systems with the same EFI, 100 and 200 Series with another, and 300 and 400 Series with another.

Was unable to boot with Clover 5126, verbose doesn't work, screen just black all the time.
Using iMac 19.1 or .2 same result.

Screenshot 2020-11-16 at 6.40.32 PM.png

I upgraded directly from Catalina as the following video shows:
Just to be clear, the aml files on my EFI are not mine, and were found from builds of other people with the same Intel CPU as mine.

Big thanks to @Feartech for guiding me to upgrading to OpenCore.

My build:
MotherBoard: Asus STRIX Z270H chipset
CPU:Intel i7 7700k
GPU: iGPU HD 630
Drive: An M2 ADATA 250GB

DO NOTE:
The only issue I have is that my monitor will display a "No signal" message once the Apple Loading screen presents itself. Once I switch inputs, the signal and whatever is displayed will come back.

Attachments

• EFI_Working.zip
    2.1 MB · Views: 667
I did everything from the post but I dont get the "Boot macOS Install option" mentioned in step 5.

I copied all updates for all kexts files to the "other" directory. i didn't find an update for FakeSMC, but i guess VirtualSMC is the new upgrade for this right? do i have to delete the fakesmc files and go with the virtualsmc files only? does this cause the "Boot macOS Install option" not appearing error?
Same, I don't have that option either, and for some reason my Clover won't update to 5126 either. I'm getting tired of it but too lazy to go OC.

Thanks to all for the support. Yesterday, I downloaded Big Sur, installed it on my macbook pro without any problems, so installer is good. I switch my Catalina install from clover to Opencore, and system is running very good with opencore. Tried to update from Big Sur app, and also tried from usb stick, and I get the same no matter what I try. After first reboot of a normal process, I pick macOS Installer, I get to the apple screen after what seems normal verbose, 5-10 seconds after that the machine simply reboots again, I keep choosing macOS Install partition, and it just keeps doing the same, nothing different, exactly the same verbose and behavior every single time; I have rebooted 5-6 times at least. Any suggestions are welcome. I am running a Haswell system. I attach video, pics, and efi (sorry for video lenth). I made a new thread with this topic, sorry for repeating.
Update: I think I didn't disable SIP in opencore config. I think that maybe it. I'll update later.

Attachments

• EFI_oc.zip
    2.1 MB · Views: 326
  • Images.zip
    16.1 MB · Views: 229
Last edited:
Hi guys,

I’ve tried the upgrade from Catalina, updated Clover to 5126, downloaded and opened the installer and when I choose the Install boot it gets stuck on the Apple Logo without the loading bar nor can I open my Catalina anymore, it does the same thing. Luckily I can acces my Win boot on an another drive. Do you have any suggestions how to get out of this situation? Thank you very much for any possible help. :)

I would caution anyone who's not just experimenting to back up and even hold off on Big Sur for a while. I've added a reference note for Clover to the top post.

That said, I've been experimenting trying to use Clover r5126 on a variety of systems with success. I've been trying to cut options down to make a universal-type Clover EFI for UniBeast usage. The issue is that many systems need a customized EFI or different Quirks options. I'm hoping to be able to post something for an example soon.

Right now I can boot Intel 7 Series, 8 Series, and 9 Series systems with the same EFI, 100 and 200 Series with another, and 300 and 400 Series with another.
Quirks are going to vary across motherboards in the same series to - a proper guide which goes over what quirks (i.e. those with MATs support and those that don't have them) are needed to be is going to go a lot further imo. As well as how to troubleshoot that - There is a big section in the troubleshooting section of the Dortania guides about this, as there really isn't a good way to do a "one size fits all" solution.

Quirks are going to vary across motherboards in the same series to - a proper guide which goes over what quirks (i.e. those with MATs support and those that don't have them) are needed to be is going to go a lot further imo. As well as how to troubleshoot that - There is a big section in the troubleshooting section of the Dortania guides about this, as there really isn't a good way to do a "one size fits all" solution.

Agree on all counts. I have gone through the amazing Dortania OpenCore guides and fully optimized a few systems using OpenCore. It works very well. As far as posting some examples of EFIs for Clover they may be helpful for some- perhaps for those with a first time build and install. Not for any permanent usage beyond the intial installation phase.

I updated it on my Mac Mini - and it’s UI design is feels - unclear, hard to read labels, grey colored buttons/labels all feels like disabled... now I don’t want to update to it. Done).

Back