Contribute
Register

Update Directly from El Capitan to High Sierra via Mac App Store?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z97M-D3H
CPU
i7-4790K
Graphics
GTX 960
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I have been out of the Hackintosh loop for a while. I skipped Sierra. My Hack has always handled direct updates of El Capitan through the Mac App Store using Clover just like a real Mac. I read here that update from El Cap to Sierra was possible the same way.

Will I be able to update directly from El Capitan to High Sierra (when the final release is out) via the Mac App Store?

I will create a CCC backup SSD and may possibly have a USB installer ready just in case. Just wondering if I can make my life a little simpler by updating directly without ever having installed Sierra.

Thanks.

Too early to tell. I doubt very much a direct update from El Capitan is possible as too much has changed.

Stay tune for a tonymacx86 guide should a direct update be possible. We're now working on UniBeast and MultiBeast for High Sierra. In the past, I preferred the Uni/Multi-Beast approach as it is just easier.

I have been out of the Hackintosh loop for a while. I skipped Sierra. My Hack has always handled direct updates of El Capitan through the Mac App Store using Clover just like a real Mac. I read here that update from El Cap to Sierra was possible the same way.

Will I be able to update directly from El Capitan to High Sierra (when the final release is out) via the Mac App Store?

I will create a CCC backup SSD and may possibly have a USB installer ready just in case. Just wondering if I can make my life a little simpler by updating directly without ever having installed Sierra.

Thanks.

Ive done a direct upgrade on my Desktop from Sierra to High Sierra and made the change to APFS its quite easy with Clover. Although id be careful on your hardware as its not native Hardware so other problems can show up.

Too early to tell. I doubt very much a direct update from El Capitan is possible as too much has changed.

Stay tune for a tonymacx86 guide should a direct update be possible. We're now working on UniBeast and MultiBeast for High Sierra. In the past, I preferred the Uni/Multi-Beast approach as it is just easier.

Thank you.

Like I said, I have been out of it for a while. When I switched to Clover everything seemed to work much easier e.g., iMessage, sleep/wake, etc. Has Unibeast and Multibeast changed that much that so I don't need to jump through hoops to make things work?

So a clean install may be in order again? I knew I should have not let things go so long.

I always wait a few weeks after a new release and monitor the forums to look for potential problems and wait for the solutions before proceeding. And I always start with a bootable clone backup in case things don't seem to be working out. This is my work machine so I can't spend days with it down trying to solve a major issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back