Contribute
Register

update -> boot loop -> how to troubleshoot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus Prime X570 Pro
CPU
Ryzen 9 3900X
Graphics
RX 590
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Air
  3. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Hello,

I just applied Security update 2017-002 on a 10.12.6 machine and now got into a (re)boot loop.
Even with verbose, safe mode, NVIDIA -> VESA, do not reboot upon KP all selected from the options of the clover boot menu.

Therefore I don't have time to read any potential error message and don't know how to troubleshoot this.

Any advice?

Thank you for your time and your help.

Best,
-a-

Add the boot flag debug=0x100 should stop automatic reboot on kernel panic.
I did check this option in the boot menu of Clover. It stills reboots anyway
:banghead:

It seems like I might need to update clover to solve this issue.
I thought of connecting my SSD (M.2, PCIe, NVMe) on another machine via USB and then update clover on the SSD via the other machine (that can boot into the OS). However, it seems difficult (impossible?) to find M.2 to USB3 adapters that support NVMe right now...
Maybe my approach is wrong...
Maybe I should add another SSD to the machine that currently goes into boot loop. Then install OSX on this SSD and then update Clover from that newly installed system on the M.2 drive... Or maybe just use an unibeast USB dongle rather than reinstall...

I am quite lost here...

And I am not even sure updating clover will actually solve the issue...

Question: Is clover installed on the EFI partition of the drive or on the "system" partition (where macOS is installed)?

Question: Is clover installed on the EFI partition of the drive or on the "system" partition (where macOS is installed)?
If you installed in UEFI mode then Clover is on the EFI partition.
If you installed in Legacy mode then Clover is on the system partition.
With a UEFI capable motherboard you should install in UEFI mode.

I put the M.2 NVMe drive into another machine an updated clover to the current version (2.4k 4359)...
-> still boot loop.

Maybe the Security update of MacOS (2017-002) broke the patch for NVMe support in Sierra (since the kext from the patch is named after the version of macOS, including Security updates...) and I need to reapply it some way?

Thoughts?

Last edited:
From the OP of the guide:
"Assumptions:
- installation of Windows 10 on the target
- running install of macOS/OS X (same version as you plan for the target) on existing hack or Mac
- basic config.plist editing skills
- basic MaciASL usage
- basic Clover knowledge
- basic knowledge of installing/injecting kexts
"

I don't meet the ones in red. I'm not even sure I meet tâll the ones in black either...

If you installed in UEFI mode then Clover is on the EFI partition.
If you installed in Legacy mode then Clover is on the system partition.
With a UEFI capable motherboard you should install in UEFI mode.
I orifinally installed in UEFI mode.
When I used CloverConfigurator to update Clover the only option in the updater was the system partition (the EFI partrition wasn't even mounted). I thus selected this one. Was it a mistake? During the process the EFI partition was mounted though and upon reboot the version of clover in about clover now reflects the updated version. My best guess is that it worked anyway (and installed on the EFI partition despite what I selected in the updater). However I may now end up with 2 different versions of clover... I don't know how to check that.

Best,
-a-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back