Contribute
Register

Update 10.8.5 to Mav, lost USB 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
HP Probook 4740s
CPU
i5-3210M CPU @ 2.50GHz (Ivy Bridge-MB PGA SV)
Graphics
Intel HD Graphics 4000 (Ivy Bridge GT2), Radeon (not disabled)
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
[Solved] Update 10.8.5 to Mav, lost USB 2.0

I updated from the latest ML to Mavericks and lost USB 2.0 functionality on the USB 3.0 ports. USB 3 sticks work fine.

This happened both after selecting the "USB 3.0" fix in PBI 6.1.9, and after reinstalling GenericUSBHCI.Kext (from Installer Backup, via Kext Wizard) and a new DSDT without this fix.

Tested with 2 Sticks of each kind.

EDIT: Re-installed GenericUSBXHCI.kext 1.2.6d2 from ML install and USB 2 and 3 both work again.

This happened both after selecting the "USB 3.0" fix in PBI 6.1.9, and after reinstalling GenericUSBHCIKext (via Kext Wizard) and a new DSDT without this fix.

There's your mistake right there. The "Intel USB 3.0 patch" is only for use *without* GenericUSBXHCI.

Quoting from the description in the installer: "Select this, if you have Intel USB 3.0 controller on your board (the 4x40s models and all models with 7-series Intel USB3 controllers ). WARNING: This option will backup and then remove any version of GenericUSBXHCI.kext you may have!" There is a reason the installer removes the kext. And adding it back is not a good idea...

The idea is to use the patch instead of GenericUSBXHCI, such that you're using stock AppleUSBXHCI.

There's your mistake right there. The "Intel USB 3.0 patch" is only for use *without* GenericUSBXHCI.

Quoting from the description in the installer: "Select this, if you have Intel USB 3.0 controller on your board (the 4x40s models and all models with 7-series Intel USB3 controllers ). WARNING: This option will backup and then remove any version of GenericUSBXHCI.kext you may have!" There is a reason the installer removes the kext. And adding it back is not a good idea...

The idea is to use the patch instead of GenericUSBXHCI, such that you're using stock AppleUSBXHCI.

I had first selected the patch and changed nothing else. Then I noticed the nonworking usb2.
THEN I reinstalled that back-upped kext and generated a fresh DSDT without the patch.
After both ways failed I dug out the old version of the kext.
I'll try to reproduce.

EDIT: run PBI again for a fresh SDSDT with the patch; GenericUSBXHCI.kext was moved to Installer Backups ... and now it works :) -- oh the marvels of hackintoshing!

EDIT: run PBI again for a fresh SSDT with the patch; GenericUSBXHCI.kext was moved to Installer Backups ... and now it works :) -- oh the marvels of hackintoshing!

I think you meant DSDT...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back