Contribute
Register

Update 10.10.5 -> El Capitan, installer doesn't continue after reboot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z87X-OC
CPU
Intel Core i7 4770K Quad Core Retail CPU (Socket 1150, 3.50GHz, 8MB)
Graphics
Asus GeForce GTX 760 DirectCU II OC, GTX760-DC2OC-2GD5
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I'm using the App Store to download the installer for El Capitan. It's downloaded fine, runs fine, then asks to reboot my Mac as expected. After reboot, my Mac just continues as if it was a normal boot, no installer continues. If I run installer again, the whole process repeats.

Gigabyte Z87X-OC Motherboard (Socket 1150, Z87 Express, DDR3, SATA 600, ATX, Haswell, Supports 4th Generation IntelCore Processors, GIGABYTE UEFI Dual BIOS)

Asus GeForce GTX 760 DirectCU II OC, GTX760-DC2OC-2GD5

16GB RAM (2 x 8GB)

UPDATE
If I run El Capitan installer from USB, the final message I see is:

panic(cpu 8 caller 0xffffff800031caa6): ~zone_init: kmem_suballoc failed~@/Library/Caches/com.apple.xtrs/Sources/...

Some googling reveal this can be related to your RAM arrangement on motherboard.
I discovered my two sticks of RAM were inserted into channels A and B of DIMM1. I've moved them to DIMM0 because I saw posts to the effect that this could cause the problem I'm having. It's not made any difference, still get the above message.

Last edited:
Wait, are you trying to update from Yosemite, or an older version of El Capitan? If you are trying Yosemite, are you using Clover to boot into the USB? Do you have the right bootflags? Are your motherboard settings perfect? If RAM is the issue, try installing with one stick. The weird thing is, I think if you try the update process again, when the pc reboots, don't use verbose mode (-v) I had that issue when installing 10.11.5 from 10.11.3... Anyways, good luck :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back