Contribute
Register

Untouched outside look Mac Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.
great you made an awesome work

Wouldn't that be super loud? I remembs er those machines being some of the loudest computers of all time. Absolutely amazing, though, and wish that I had the skill to do the same.

The PowerMac G5 was a loud machine mostly because the processors often ran too warm and so the fans would spin waaaaay up. I want to say it had 9 individual fans, so while it was normally fairly quiet (for what it was), if the sensors detected too much heat or something in the firmware got a little funky, it sounded like you had a jet taking off in your office.

Wouldn't that be super loud? I remembs er those machines being some of the loudest computers of all time.
I had a PowerMac G5 and because it didn't have to work hard, it hardly ever spun up above the default RPM. Effectively it was much more silent than the Mac (clone) I used before the G5.

In reality is was a very well cooled machine, specially for a desktop. Mine (see avatar) had seperate liquid cooling on both CPU's.. Under normal room temperatures it was practically impossible to get the fans to a high RPM number. When it became unresponsive because of a kernel panic though, the fans would go to the maximum RPM as a precautionary measure, but that is not representative of how it sounded when you worked with it.

Last edited:
wow clean and beautiful

(By the way, to avoid confusion: this is not a G5, it's a Mac Pro. The G5 for example didn't have four hard drive sleds in a row.)

Now I've done a hackintosh G5 hackintosh build, what was my first PC build by the way, I know a little bit more about the subject. This build looks so clean because the cables are hidden behind plates of aluminum (bottom and 'back wall'). I still think it's very well done, don't get me wrong, but in 2018 I thought this would be possible with just clever part picking and clever routing of cables.

Also, this build was an eye-opener for me in the sense that it proves that besides the fans in the GPU-card – that is not pointed outwards – and the fan on the PSU – that is in a different compartment – the BeQuiet! CPU-cooler add-on fan is enough. There are no case fans necessary!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back