Graphics
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I'm at the point now where I can boot with kext-dev-mode=1 -x nv_disable=1 npci=0x2000. If I don't specify nv_disable=1 the screen goes blank at some point in the boot process. Can anyone explain what's going on here? I guess the graphics card is running in some worse mode that the OS is ok with?

It's also not clear what I should do about it. It seems the standard cure for this is to install the right driver from the NVIDIA website, but everything on this site indicates that the 760 should work out of the box.

I'm at the point now where I can boot with kext-dev-mode=1 -x nv_disable=1 npci=0x2000. If I don't specify nv_disable=1 the screen goes blank at some point in the boot process. Can anyone explain what's going on here? I guess the graphics card is running in some worse mode that the OS is ok with?

It's also not clear what I should do about it. It seems the standard cure for this is to install the right driver from the NVIDIA website, but everything on this site indicates that the 760 should work out of the box.

Do you have to boot with -x? That puts OS X into safe mode and disables many of the drivers and could be your issue. If you are looking to see what is going on during boot then you want verbose mode which is the boot flag -v.

Do you have to boot with -x? That puts OS X into safe mode and disables many of the drivers and could be your issue. If you are looking to see what is going on during boot then you want verbose mode which is the boot flag -v.

If I remove -x I have a different problem - I get to the login screen but the keyboard and mouse aren't recognized. I do still have to use nv_disable=1.

Well, without any other ideas I tried installing the NVIDIA drivers, but no luck. I still can't boot without nv_disable=1.

Well, without any other ideas I tried installing the NVIDIA drivers, but no luck. I still can't boot without nv_disable=1.

Did you use nvda_drv=1 to use the drivers when you installed them?

Did you use nvda_drv=1 to use the drivers when you installed them?

Yeah, on the first restart I typed it manually but then I noticed that installation of the drivers had automatically added it to the boot flags.

One more clue - when I boot from the installer on the USB drive, the installer runs with the higher resolution. So I imagine there's something that's different between the two that's causing this, but I'm not sure where to look.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back