Contribute
Register

Unlock With Apple Watch Not Working In Catalina

Status
Not open for further replies.
My H170N-WIFI card does not have a serial port from what I can tell. But in the manual I can see that at least there used to be a Super IO setting in BIOS. I don't think it had any sub-sections though. Latest BIOS update is F22e from 2018.

Is there a way to force disable the serial port with SSDT? Can anyone point me to some instructions on how to do so and what to look for? I'm not even sure that it's possible with my card, I'm clutching at straws here.

From the manual:

Screenshot 2020-08-23 at 10.41.46.png

I have had this issue also. I recently upgraded to an ASUS B460-g motherboard and it was still happening. I just read the posts about disabling the serial port so I tried it and boom, unlock with Apple Watch is now working. Thanks guys!!

I have had this issue also. I recently upgraded to an ASUS B460-g motherboard and it was still happening. I just read the posts about disabling the serial port so I tried it and boom, unlock with Apple Watch is now working. Thanks guys!!
Can you provide some info on where in your bios this setting is found?

I have also encountered this problem when upgrading to Catalina : the "Unlock with Apple Watch" was not even visible in the Security settings. I did many things like unpairing the watch or closing the iCloud session, without any success.

My MB is a Z370N with no "serial port" settings, so I could not try disabling it, however it turns out that my problem was related to OpenCore. I made a bootloader change along with my Catalina upgrade to give a try to the new generation, but the option came back instantly when I tried to boot my system with Clover, and now works like a charm.

So if you too like the "unlock with Apple Watch" feature and your MB cannot disable its serial port, I'd say you should consider staying with Clover for the time being.

I have also encountered this problem when upgrading to Catalina : the "Unlock with Apple Watch" was not even visible in the Security settings. I did many things like unpairing the watch or closing the iCloud session, without any success.

My MB is a Z370N with no "serial port" settings, so I could not try disabling it, however it turns out that my problem was related to OpenCore. I made a bootloader change along with my Catalina upgrade to give a try to the new generation, but the option came back instantly when I tried to boot my system with Clover, and now works like a charm.

So if you too like the "unlock with Apple Watch" feature and your MB cannot disable its serial port, I'd say you should consider staying with Clover for the time being.
Your scenario is most likely due to the incorrect settings in OpenCore, rather than the fact that Clover fixed the problem. If anything, OpenCore is closer to a genuine Mac than Clover. Most people find OpenCore to be more stable with less problems than Clover.

Gigabyte has released some new firmware recently for various motherboards, and they seem to include the option to disable serial port, which has been confirmed to be the cause of "AW unlock failure after sleep" issue. Your issue may be entirely different to what we have encountered, as you didn't even see the option in Security setting, where we can ALWAYS see the option but it simply fails to work after sleep.

I've the same problem after switching from Clover to OpenCore with Gigabyte Designare Z390 (See this post).

I want to try the Serial Port settings but I couldn't find it in the BIOS! Any one has a hint ?

Your scenario is most likely due to the incorrect settings in OpenCore, rather than the fact that Clover fixed the problem. If anything, OpenCore is closer to a genuine Mac than Clover. Most people find OpenCore to be more stable with less problems than Clover.

Gigabyte has released some new firmware recently for various motherboards, and they seem to include the option to disable serial port, which has been confirmed to be the cause of "AW unlock failure after sleep" issue. Your issue may be entirely different to what we have encountered, as you didn't even see the option in Security setting, where we can ALWAYS see the option but it simply fails to work after sleep.

You are absolutely right, I cannot tell whether OpenCore was the culprit per se or if I just set it up badly. I did not have enough time to dive very deep technically in this bootloader, but for what I have seen, it seemed very efficient and stable, especially for such a recent product.

Despite long searches on the web, the only serious track I found was this "serial port" thing, which fatally bings the question: "does my motherboard have this setting?". I have tried the latest version of firmware for the Z370N-Wifi (F14a) – which OpenCore allows to run very well by the way (whereas Clover has to be specifically tweaked for anything later F10) – but neither "serial port" nor "super IO" anywhere in the BIOS... too bad!

Now if anyone can identify what precisely what has to be configured in OpenCore to allow for the "unlock with Apple Watch" feature to work, I will gladly change my bootloader again! :)

I've the same problem after switching from Clover to OpenCore with Gigabyte Designare Z390 (See this post).

I want to try the Serial Port settings but I couldn't find it in the BIOS! Any one has a hint ?
The serial port issue relates to the watch not being able to unlock the hackintosh after sleep. If you are unable to communicate with the watch to start with the issue is elsewhere. You need to look into your OpenCore configuration first.

you can try my EFI if you are using smibios 19,1 as it it is closely related to your board but make sure to update the usb mappings and disable the CFG lock

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back