Contribute
Register

Universal Audio Apollo Twin Thunderbolt on Hackintosh

Status
Not open for further replies.
..if it works for you with F11, it should work for me too.
the strange thing is that the connection by thunderbolt is made with the apollo,
it s just that i cant see the drivers appear in Logic pro neither in the sound mac preference..

Mine works with a pre-release version of F12... a "beta" version of the BIOS...

Just wanted to update this thread, I now have a new motherboard and processor, GA-Z97X-UD7 TH and an i7 4770, I have also upgraded to an Apollo Duo (rack unit).
After a bit of fiddling and searching, all seems to be working happily.
The key to success was setting the thuderbolt security to 'legacy' in the bios. Also deleting the thunderbolt nhi kext has now given me a fast boot.
Very happy !!

GA-Z97X-ud7 TH works great
View attachment 110592

Just wanted to update this thread, I now have a new motherboard and processor, GA-Z97X-UD7 TH and an i7 4770, I have also upgraded to an Apollo Duo (rack unit).
The key to success was setting the thuderbolt security to 'legacy' in the bios. Also deleting the thunderbolt nhi kext has now given me a fast boot.
Very happy !!

Hi guys, I'm using the same GA-Z97X-UD7 TH mobo... Can I know what's your settings on the BIOS and Multibeast? Besides, install Win OS to activate the TH firmware and remove Apple TH NHI kext, what else do I have to be aware of?

I'm currently using UAD2 Satellite Thunderbolt on my dying-soon-MBP...

How did you get the thunderbolt 2.0 ports to detect the uad apollo? My 24" monitor which is daisy chained to the apollo quad is working perfectly but the UAD meter & control panel shows "no devices found".
I only have one hard drive mounted to the motherboard so I cannot have windows installed simultaneously. I did install the thunderbolt 2.0 drivers on windows 7 prior to partitioning the drive to install Yosemite. Is the only way to get the thunderbolt 2.0 drivers to work to have two separate operating systems?

Setup
OSX: Yosemite 10.10
Motherboard: GA-Z97X-UD7-TH
CPU: Intel 4790k
Graphics: onboard (no external graphics card)
Hard Drive: 512gb Samsung 850 Pro
Memory: 32gb Crucial Ballistix Sport

Very happy !!

@Smfelton please post your multibeast settings and which operating system of windows and osx you are using.
I am so close using the GA-Z97X-UD7 TH motherboard & windows 8.1 as the secondary boot drive but I keep getting panic errors. I am using the latest multibeast 7 when I load Yosemite 10.10.1

Thanks!!

Hi sorry i've been away.
I don't have my multibeast settings to hand but I will post them later. The key to getting the Apollo working was to set the Thunderbolt Security in the BIOS to 'Legacy" once I did this everything worked. The initial install was pretty painless but if I remember correctly it was a very long wait before the install screen appeared. I am running 10.10.1 and the system is 98% stable. I very occasionally get freezes, i've narrowed the cause to either the USB, or the video driver, but I could be wrong.
As I said before deleting the Apple NHI Thunderbolt kext, speeded up boot time a lot and has had no effect on the Thunderbolt.
As for usage, i'm not currently operating as a commercial studio due to health issues, but use the system with a Touch Screen Acer display with Pro Tools 11 HD and Slate Batch Commander, to record and mix music every day. So far (touch wood) I have not had a single crash/freeze whilst in Pro Tools.

I will post more information later.

Merry Christmas / Happy Holidays.

Shane

After a few weeks of use I can again report that my system has been solid as a rock, whilst using Pro Tools, however I was getting some weird random freezes in other apps. My instinct was telling me it was a graphics issue, but I did have a slight niggle that it might have been USB related.
I spent some time trying to get to the bottom of this with no joy, so I decided to 'bite the bullet' and try Clover, set was not as straightforward, but I followed the guide and after a bit of fiddling I got everything working (except imessage/facetime).
My system has now been running for about a week without a single lock-up or freeze in any application.
So I think it is very worth giving Clover a go, I did note that I was having problems with the detected iMac SMBIOS setting, but I used Clover Configurator and changed it to Mac Pro 3,1 and everything was fine.

I might add that at no point did I need to go into Windows to get the thunderbolt working. As soon as I selected 'Legacy' in the BIOS everything worked.

After a few weeks of use I can again report that my system has been solid as a rock, whilst using Pro Tools, however I was getting some weird random freezes in other apps. My instinct was telling me it was a graphics issue, but I did have a slight niggle that it might have been USB related.
I spent some time trying to get to the bottom of this with no joy, so I decided to 'bite the bullet' and try Clover, set was not as straightforward, but I followed the guide and after a bit of fiddling I got everything working (except imessage/facetime).
My system has now been running for about a week without a single lock-up or freeze in any application.
So I think it is very worth giving Clover a go, I did note that I was having problems with the detected iMac SMBIOS setting, but I used Clover Configurator and changed it to Mac Pro 3,1 and everything was fine.

I might add that at no point did I need to go into Windows to get the thunderbolt working. As soon as I selected 'Legacy' in the BIOS everything worked.

I tried sending a pm too, but no luck :crazy:

I'm currently on an older Asus board with my Apollo Duo connected through fw, but I want to upgrade to a motherboard with thunderbolt. So I'm looking at buying the Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD7 TH with a i7-4790k and use that with my GeForce GTX 660x. From what I can gather reading through this thread, that should work fairly straight out of the box ?

So you did the clean install using Clover ? (I've never tried that myself, been using unibeast/multibeast). Did you have to patch the bios to use this board ? (Sorry for noob question, it's been a while since I did a clean install...been updating the last couple of years :p)

Sorry if I'm asking a lot of questions here, but I'm just looking for the easiest and most pain free way to a Yosemite thunderbolt setup.

Thanks !

Heya,

Read through the posts in this thread and thought I'd I'd ask for updates. I have the Apollo Quad and PCIe UAD2 solo card working great in my system. GA-Z77up5-TH Mobo and 32 GB ram. Solid as can be! I use the Apple FW to Thunderbolt adapter to connect my Quad Firewire system to the Thunderbolt...works mint.
I am thinking of grabbing the Thunderbolt Board for my Apollo which will update me to the new UAD Console 2 application.
I wanted to know if anyone has experience with using Apollo via Thunderbolt and a PCIe UAD2 card (older version not able to support the new 32 devices on the PCIe buss VIA Thunderbolt).

Any input would be appreciated.

Hi
I have an GA Z87x-ud5 TH and it is working with my Apollo Twin Solo. I also have some freezes and deleted there some Audio Kext and Set Memory Settings to Profile1. See what happens so. Have to wait.
But, my question is, can you use Apollo and your DAW also you have installed the Multibeast Audio Driver. It´s the Intel 898 which also install HDA.kext.
I have this one installed and it is working but my DAW (Logic X) don´t see the Apollo since I have installed it.
Any else. Otherwise I have to delete it, which I don´t want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back