Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I built my mackintosh system back in 2013 with a Z87I-deluxe motherboard, and it's been working very well over the last couple years. The only major thing I've done to it since then is upgrade to mavericks last summer (from mountain lion).

However, I just purchased a graphics card (GTX 970) to run a couple of 4k monitors, as I figured the 4600 wouldn't handle them very well.

Thus, I'm trying to upgrade my system preferably to El Capitan (or Yosemite).

However, I've been unable to get even Unibeast to boot properly. My first mistake was setting the partition up as MBR (since that's what I've always done previously). However, when I went back and read everything carefully, I noticed that MBR doesn't play nice with El Capitan, so I reformatted as GUID, re-ran the unibeast tool and tried to boot up.

For some reason, I can't get the El Capitan Unbeast stick to boot. It simply boots into the BIOS.

I've tried unplugged everything except what's absolutely necessary, and I've tried multiple USB sticks and multiple USB ports (including the 2.0 ports, which I would imagine would be less prone to issues).

Any suggestions? Wrong partition set to active or something weird like that?

EDIT: I've tried both with Clover (Unibeast 6 + El Capitan) and Chimera (Unibeast 5 + Yosemite). It simply won't get to the boot screen.

I guess my next step would be to try and update the BIOS? Any suggestions?

Specs:
- Z87I-Deluxe Mobo
- i5 4670k CPU

Check the boot mode settings in BIOS. You can try setting UEFI only (if you used Unibeast 6.1.x UEFI mode) and if that doesn't work also try UEFI & Legacy. You can try using the BIOS hotkey to select a boot device and see if there's a menu option for UEFI: YourUSBDrive and choose that to boot to.

Check the boot mode settings in BIOS. You can try setting UEFI only (if you used Unibeast 6.1.x UEFI mode) and if that doesn't work also try UEFI & Legacy. You can try using the BIOS hotkey to select a boot device and see if there's a menu option for UEFI: YourUSBDrive and choose that to boot to.

Appreciate the response.

I changed the boot mode to UEFI only and retried creating an El Capitan Unibeast 6 USB.

However, now when I boot I get the following message:

THE SYSTEM FOUND UNAUTHORIZED CHANGES on THE FIRMWARE, OPERATING SYSTEM OR UEFI DRIVERS.
PRESS [N] TO RUN THE NEXT BOOT DEVICE , or ENTER DIRECTLY TO BIOS SETUP IF THERE ARE NO OTHER BOOT DEVICES INSTALLED.
GO TO BIOS SETUP- ADVANCED-BOOT and CHANGE THE CURRENT BOOT DEVICE INTO OTHER SECURED BOOT DEVICES.

I take it that this has something to do with secure boot. I'm not sure how to disable it in the UEFI though -- the only option seems to be to change the OS type from Windows to Other OS.

Any suggestions?

If USB stick is built for UEFI set Bios to UEFI only and secure boot to other OS

I will have to try that ... what worked for me was to delete the PK key, which disabled secure boot.

Unfortunately, however, that means I can no longer boot up into W 8.1. One issue after another!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back