EVGA GT 640
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi there,

I am a first time Hackintosh builder/installer, and have jumped in somewhat at the deep end. I have been following golden builds on here to try and use compatible components. My 'important' components are:

• Mother board: Asus SABERTOOTH X79 Socket 2011
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 3930K 3.20GHz Socket 2011
  • Corsair 32GB (4x 8GB) 1600MHz DDR3
  • GFX card: EVGA GT 640 2GB
  • Hard drive: SanDisk 240GB Extreme SSD

I am attempting to install Mountain Lion on this this machine, I have a genuine MacBook Pro at my disposal to do this, along with a legitimate Mountain Lion installer (obtained from the App Store).

I have used UniBeast 1.6.1 to create a bootable USB hard drive for Mountain Lion, I have then plugged this into my Hackintosh, the drive is found, and the boot process begins. Initially it was getting stuck scanning the PCI bus, from searching the forum, I found this fix:

-v npci=0x2000

After that, it would then get stuck waiting for root device, it took a while to track this down, but ultimately I had to disable hyper threading and disable all cores except the first. I also disabled any other on board devices from the BIOS and then added the following command line option:

-v npci=0x2000 -cpus 1

It now gets further, creating RAM disk for various volumes and so on, but at the end the screens is left with :

NVDAGK100HAL loaded and registered.
DSMOS has arrived

However it doesn't get any further. From reading the forum, I have tried the following combinations:

-v npci=0x2000 -cpus 1 PCIRootUID=0 GraphicsEnabler=No
-v npci=0x2000 -cpus 1 PCIRootUID=0 GraphicsEnabler=Yes
-v npci=0x2000 -cpus 1 PCIRootUID=1 GraphicsEnabler=No
-v npci=0x2000 -cpus 1 PCIRootUID=1 GraphicsEnabler=Yes

However none of these combinations have got any further. Other things I have tried that have got stuck at exactly the same point:

1. Installing Lion and Mountain Lion separately (using UniBeast 1.6.0 and 1.6.1 respectively)
  2. Plugging the installation HD into each port of the Hackintosh
  3. Changing the slot the graphics card is in
  4. Changing the port the internal SSD is plugged in (trying both the first SATA 6.0 port and the first SATA 3.0 port)
  5. Plugging the monitor into the HDMI and both DVI ports one at a time

I have also tried the -x 'safe mode' switch, off hand I can't recall if that got stuck at the same point, or at some point earlier.

As this is all new to me, I'm not entirely sure what to do next, my forum searches have lead me towards thinking perhaps the GT 640 graphics card is causing the problems, I'm not sure if that is the case? I am also not sure what to do next to try and resolve this. My understanding is that 'DSMOS has arrived' is probably the last thing I should expect to see in the console, and that the next thing that should happen is for the installer GUI to come up, allowing me to select language and install.

Any help that can be provided will be received gratefully. I have tried to be a good new user by performing extensive searches of the forum, but appologies in advance if I have got anything wrong.

Steve

edit: Added Plugging the monitor into the HDMI and both DVI ports one at a time to list of steps tried

Hi there Rockthesmurf,

Okay I had a look at what you've said you've done and it seems correct such as disabling LAN, Bluetooth, USB 3.0 etc. The only thing you didn't do is use npci=0x3000 and -x Safe Mode.

Try this line to boot the Unibeast USB stick instead with your Nvidia card:

-v -x npci=0x3000 cpus=1 PCIRootUID=0 GraphicsEnabler=No

If this fails, then first take out your Nvidia card and try installing with ONLY the Intel card via the main system's DVI port.
And with everything still disabled in BIOS and Primary Video set to AUTO, with 32MB RAM, try using this command to install:

-v -x BuiltInEthernet=Yes cpus=1 GraphicsEnabler=Yes

Report back if you get anything...

Try removing your graphics card and plugging your monitor into the motherboard. Then, repeat install. Once you get everything up and running using MB, power down and reinsert your graphics card.

Hi there Rockthesmurf,
Try this line to boot the Unibeast USB stick instead with your Nvidia card:

-v -x npci=0x3000 cpus=1 PCIRootUID=0 GraphicsEnabler=No

Report back if you get anything...

When I do this, it gets stuck on 'Still waiting for root device'. Normally I find cpus=1 (along with BIOS changes to only enable one CPU core) fixes this issue, but with the above command line, even though it has cpus=1 in it, there still seems to be a problem. It feels like -x does something which either breaks, or overrides the cpus=1 part of the command line.

With regards to using on-board graphics, unfortunately my motherboard does not have this facility. The link to details about the motherboard are here:

http://uk.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_2011/SABERTOOTH_X79/

I do not currently have any other graphics card I can try instead, however it may possible I can get hold of something in due course if there are no other workarounds.

Thank you for your help so far,

Steve

Hi Steve,

See if you can try booting with the following settings in BIOS:

AHCI On
2nd Marvell Controller Off
Legacy USB Support Enabled
Bluetooth = Disabled
LAN = Disabled
USB 3.0 = Disabled
Intel Virtualisation Disabled
VT-d Disabled
High Precision Event Timer On

And then try these at the Unibeast USB stick prompt:

-v -x GraphicsEnabler=No cpus=1

-v -x GraphicsEnabler=No cpus=1 rd=disk0s1

-v -x GraphicsEnabler=No cpus=1 npci=0x3000 rd=disk0s1

Also make sure your main drive is sitting on the SATA 3 6Gbps Port0

This is what I managed to do:

AHCI On - no problem
2nd Marvell Controller Off - no problem
Legacy USB Support Enabled - no problem
LAN = Disabled
USB 3.0 = Disabled
Intel Virtualisation Disabled
VT-d Disabled
High Precision Event Timer On
Also make sure your main drive is sitting on the SATA 3 6Gbps Port0

I couldn't do this:

Bluetooth = Disabled - no bluetooth on motherboard

Results

-v -x GraphicsEnabler=No cpus=1

Hangs at PCI configuration begin

-v -x GraphicsEnabler=No cpus=1 rd=disk0s1

Hangs at PCI configuration begin

Just get repeated message of "Still waiting for root device"

I also tried the following (identical to the command line directly above, only with -x removed):

-v GraphicsEnabler=No cpus=1 npci=0x3000 rd=disk0s1

And this gets me past the above errors, but results in my original issue of DSMOS has arrived but not getting to the graphical context.

Any idea what I can try next? By the way, I picked a graphics card from the Socket 2011 CustoMac Pro Build list, http://tonymacx86.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/CustoMac the card in question is:

http://www.ebuyer.com/409801-evga-g...-ddr3-dual-dvi-mini-hdmi-pci-e-02g-p4-2645-kr

I hoped this would make things smoother, my understanding is it should be supported

Kind regards,

Steve

Can you also disable Intel Speedstep?

Edit: If it still fails I'd like you to try the above commands to install, but with a new disk. ie. install a new hard drive on your SATA Port0 and start the install anew with Unibeast as any kexts on your existing hard drive will 'contaminate' whatever kexts is loading from the Unibeast USB. This should get you through your problems...

Edit: If it still fails I'd like you to try the above commands to install, but with a new disk. ie. install a new hard drive on your SATA Port0 and start the install anew with Unibeast as any kexts on your existing hard drive will 'contaminate' whatever kexts is loading from the Unibeast USB. This should get you through your problems...

Just tried this along with command line:

However, I still just get repeated message of "Still waiting for root device"

Just seen your edit, let me look into this.

Steve

If it still fails I'd like you to try the above commands to install, but with a new disk. ie. install a new hard drive on your SATA Port0 and start the install anew with Unibeast as any kexts on your existing hard drive will 'contaminate' whatever kexts is loading from the Unibeast USB. This should get you through your problems...

So, if I understand this right, I can use the same external USB drive with the UniBeast installer on, I don't need to format that are set up UniBeast again. But instead you believe that the SSD hard drive inside the Hackintosh that I wish to install onto needs to be wiped/erased? I have never got as far into the UniBeast install process that I've actually started the install process/chosen a drive/formatted or anything like that, so does this advise still stand?

I am just trying to work out how I can go about formatting the SSD inside the Hackintosh, I guess I'll need to get some something that I can boot off my external USB hard drive that gives me access to some disk formatting tools... which I can look in to.

If I do not have the SSD plugged in at all, would you expect the install process to get past the waiting for root device?

Steve

I unplugged the SSD hard drive and plugged in a brand new (unformatted/partitioned) 3 TB SATA drive (I realise it would have to be partitioned to 1 TB max, but I assumed I would do this from inside UniBeast if it actually booted), however I do not get any further than when the SSD was plugged in.

Is there any further advice? I haven't manually put any kext files into the UniBeast external USB hard drive, I don't know if this is something I should be doing, perhaps a kext for the graphics card (I have searched for one but not found anything).

Kind regards,

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back