Contribute
Register

UniBeast: Install OS X Mountain Lion on Any Supported Intel-based PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Article: UniBeast: Install OS X Mountain Lion on Any Supported Intel-based PC

Can someone help me with this? I tried creating a USB Mountain Lion and Unibeast got stuck at 16% and said it was going to take 10 hours to complete. The time kept increasing as well lol :banghead:

Does anyone know how I could do this? I was using lion to create the USB installer?

This is well documented that the screen time is just plain WRONG. Takes about 20 minutes if I remember correctly. Let it run.

I just got my build completed with Gigabyte GA-X79-UD5 MOBO and a GTX680 graphics card. When I try to boot from my newly created Mountain Lion USB it goes to the Apple Icon for a just few seconds but then the screen goes black and nothing happens. I was very careful to create my USB per the instructions at Tonymac. I also chose only parts that were listed on Tonymac for a smooth build (or so I thought). I have also tried using different PCI slots and both DVI ports. Still nothing. Maybe there is a setting that I need to change in my bios (?) I changed sata to ACHI but that was the only setting I could find to work with. There is no 'Quick Boot' to change to "NO" as recommended that I can find in this bios.

I have tried all of the alternate commands like: -x -v GraphicsEnabler=No, etc. I have spent hours trying to figure this out and cannot move forward. I can't get past that disappearing Apple logo to install ML from my USB. Any ideas as I am about ready to throw in the towel.

You need to set PCIRootUID=0 I think. It's been a while since I played with my X79.

@rancherpete.
I had this on a x79-ud3 (very similar). Tried every dsdt and bios version I could find. - v gave me some clues but there were no conclusive fixes to these anywhere on the forum that i could find. Curiously I could not even extract my own dsdt as dsdtse just gave me a spinning wheel each time I hit compile.

My solution was to use no dsdt at all and it starts fine with only npci=0x2000 needed in the flags.

Obviously no sleep but my geek bench got up to 23k. No sound either but any class compliant usb audio device will do for that.

Serious problem with Shuttle SH67H7

I installed Lion 10.7.x previously without any major problems besides USB 3.0 and sound (just kexts issues). But this time with Mountain Lion I cannot boot into the installation guide without the -x option. Afterwards I only can boot ML with the -x option, which definitely disables graphics acceleration and other kexts, crippling my ML desktop seriously. my graphics card is ATI Radeon 5770 1 GB (works under Lion and Snow Leopard ).

Can somebody tell me what is causing this problem ? Hardware works well with SL and L, but has problems with ML.
Before restoring my Lion backup I want to try ML, but not sure what is causing the system to hang when starting in normal mode. Tried -v verbose mode, but I cannot find the problem.

Can someone help me with this? I tried creating a USB Mountain Lion and Unibeast got stuck at 16% and said it was going to take 10 hours to complete. The time kept increasing as well lol :banghead:

Does anyone know how I could do this? I was using lion to create the USB installer?

I have created the USB 8GB boot drive a number of times. In addition to the detail step by step instructions, I found that knowing what is taken place helps troubleshooting any problems. For example, I couldn't understand why it takes so long for UniBeast software to "prepare" a bootable 8GB USB drive.

I was preparing a Bootable 8GB USB drive with Lion OS. I forgot to "mount" the Lion OS USB ReadOnly stick when I ran UniBeast and the program ran and completed in a few minutes. When this part finishes so quickly, the Bootable USB will boot but you will get error "missing mac_kernel".

After re-reading the instructions carefully, I realized that I forgot to "mount" the Lion ReadOnly USB drive when I ran UniBeast.
Once I done that, the UniBeast software is preparing my Bootable 8GB USB drive with the necessary files from the Lion ReadOnly USB drive that I purchased.
The UniBeast on screen progress messages sometimes can be misleading. When it is working properly, just have to wait because UniBeast is reading and writing a few gigabytes of data from the Lion ReadOnly USB.

The above description is based on my many times running the UniBeast bootable drive creation, getting error messages, and re-reading the instructions.

It is difficult for me to just following instructions and not having any idea what the software is actually doing. If everything works fine, then there is no need to know the details.

It would be helpful that future version of UniBeast would display a warning message when the "mac_kernel" file is not detected.

ES
Dec 2, 2012

I have an ASUS P9X79 and I don't see it listed on the DSDT database. Does that mean I won't be able to run mountain lion?

DVD not USB

Is there way to do this process through making a DVD instead of USB? Or how can I get a DVD out of the bootable USB, to store it for future needs if required. I don't want my USB drive stuck with this.

Is there way to do this process through making a DVD instead of USB? Or how can I get a DVD out of the bootable USB, to store it for future needs if required. I don't want my USB drive stuck with this.
No as that would be a distribution and illegal.

Also 8GB USB sticks are dirt cheap now.

usb isn't showing up after booting to usb HDD anyone know the problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back