Contribute
Register

UniBeast: Install OS X El Capitan on Any Supported Intel-based PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a note that Unibeast couldn't recognize my 128GB USB key (which are pretty inexpensive these days). I'm trying again now with a very old and slow 8GB USB key, and it's taking a long time.

Do we know at what size cutoff is?

I believe you need to change your boot device to LastBootedVolume and Timeout to 0 in config.plist

<key>DefaultVolume</key>
<string>LastBootedVolume</string>

<key>Timeout</key>
<integer>0</integer>

Irrelevant..

LastBootedVolume will do exactly that, boot the last drive you were using. Poster wanted to know how to boot directly into OS X El Capitan automatically, not the last OS he was booting (If multi boot)

And you could literally set the timeout to whatever value you want and it would still auto boot into the system. No need to set it to Zero

In big list of solutions el capitan install problems -->
System freezes on boot
Sometimes (not always) booting verbose shows "Service exited with abnormal code: 255"
Sometimes freezes on a white/gray screen with spinning beach ball

Typically a failure to load FakeSMC.kext
Try removing all numbered directories under EFI/CLOVER/kexts and putting FakeSMC.kext into kexts/Other/ (and if that works you can put additional kexts in there too). Putting things in Other/ won't work unless the numbered dirs are removed.
If it's still not working, on the Clover screen, try selecting "Boot with injected kexts" and/or ensure config.plist has InjectKexts set to YES
If it's an upgrade and still not working, make sure you have a current version of FakeSMC.kext and/or remove any copy from /System/Library/Extensions/
Might also be an unsupported Nvidia card: if so, try booting with nv_disable=1

From my experience with a similar system nv_disable=1 will allow you to overcome this issue.
Unfortunately, i didn't mange to solve the gt 610 driver acceleration and hdmi audio

In the first place, thanks for the hard work, Tonymac team.

I installed El Cap on a spare SSD with Clover in legacy mode(using an USB3 port)
I got this on booting from the SSD:

Boot failed with P-State Stepper Error 18

This was fixed using this tip:

Disable CPU EIST in BIOS (Z68X-UD3H-B3)

Haven't copied my DSDT or SSDT from Chameleon.
Geekbench looks OK(best results are still from my SnowLeopard days)
What works: Graphics(6870) on first DVI port, firewire(startech card), eSATA. What definitely doesn't work: USB3. My Nec/Renesas chip is the culprit, I understand.
Don't know about the builtin audio, HDMI, Bluetooth or WIFI. Don't use these. Sleep doesn't work, graphics/monitor will not wake up. Sleep has never worked properly, BTW.

USB has always been a bit flakey on this board too, USB3 worked OK for disks since Mountain Lion, but not so much for pen drives. I will loose my kbd and/or Powermate on booting sometimes. Replugging will not always work.

For work, I will stay on 10.9.5 for a while.
Gigabyte Z68XP-UD5/AMD6870/16 GB RAM/SSD's/Startech FW Card

Just a note that Unibeast couldn't recognize my 128GB USB key (which are pretty inexpensive these days). I'm trying again now with a very old and slow 8GB USB key, and it's taking a long time.

Do we know at what size cutoff is?

You need to have at least 7.45 GB of free space on an 8GB or larger USB drive.
That point is made clear at the beginning of the install guide. 16 GB drives are
the ideal choice for this. Very inexpensive nowadays.

View attachment 156026I had no luck to get the installer on my computer. I have a Asus P7P55D-E motherboard, i3 processor, Nvidia GT610 2GB graphic card, Kingston SSD which is work perfect with Yosemite. I boot in verbose mode and I got this and it's stuck on the white screen. Any idea how to solve this? Please help. Thanks

turn off everything in the Clover options uncheck what you don't need.

Is this method working for X99 Systems too? Or do we have to follow some additional steps to get it working? Please let me know as I am planning an X99 Hackintosh Project soon

You need to have at least 7.45 GB of free space on an 8GB or larger USB drive.
That point is made clear at the beginning of the install guide. 16 GB drives are
the ideal choice for this. Very inexpensive nowadays.

What isn't made clear is that there is a cutoff size for the USB, above 32gb and you don't get anywhere, in my experience and dougdirac also it would appear.

What isn't made clear is that there is a cutoff size for the USB, above 32gb and you don't get anywhere, in my experience and dougdirac also it would appear.

It does say that 16 GB is the recommended size. Why not just follow that clear advice and get
a 16 GB flash drive ? They cost less and give you plenty of room.

Purchase a 8GB or larger USB drive. We recommend using a 16GB drive, as some 8GB drives are not large enough to complete Step 2. The method requires 7.45GB free space.

Not sure why it's so difficult to follow these simple instructions in the guide ?

Irrelevant..

LastBootedVolume will do exactly that, boot the last drive you were using. Poster wanted to know how to boot directly into OS X El Capitan automatically, not the last OS he was booting (If multi boot)

And you could literally set the timeout to whatever value you want and it would still auto boot into the system. No need to set it to Zero

I have found that if I don't set the boot drive to LastBootedVolume the Timeout timer does not start counting down which from reading elsewhere is a known issue. Setting the Timeout timer to 0 will bypass the Clover screen which is what I thought questioner wanted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back