Contribute
Register

UniBeast: Install macOS Sierra on Any Supported Intel-based PC

Hi, and first thanks all for the hardwork, I know (because I designed a keyboard firmware) how dedicated you all must be to do that amount of work...

I have problems installing with both Unibeast / Clover.

My target hardware is:
- GA-Z170X-Gaming-3-EU
- i7 6700k
- Corsair Vengeance LPX 16Gb (2x8, in banks 2,4 because of the CPU cooler...)
- Samsung 960 EVO 512Gb NVME m.2 (in port D, the one closest to the CPU)
- No discrete GPU currently (on a budget for now...), using HDMI port from iGPU.

My secondary hardware is a Mid-2014 MBP with Sierra 10.12.5, from which I install (and read this forum), if that matters.

The problem I got with Unibeast:
- I tried erasing my 8Gb stick with following options:
* GUID partition map
* MacOs Extended (journaled) partition type
* Volume named "USB"
-> Unibeast v. 7.1.1 refuses to install on the USB stick (says "No volume found. Rescan?" or something like that)
- Tried again with:
* MBR
* Volume named "USB"
-> Unibeast installs fine, but cannot do anything to boot it on target hardware. I tried USB 2.0 ports (top ones), USB 3.0 ports from backpanel (low ones), USB 3.1 type B from backpanel (middle one), even USB 3.0 from front panel. I tried with default BIOS settings (with XHCI enabled), and alternated UEFI options for both PCI and legacy storage in the BIOS just in case. In every case, I can see the USB stick in boot options (F12), but once selected the BIOS complains that no bootable medium is inserted.

I also tried stock Clover v. 2.4k_r4077:
- I tried erasing my 8Gb stick with following options:
* GUID partition map
* Volume named "USB"
* Installed Sierra using command line ("
sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Installer --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sierra.app --nointeraction")
* Added FakeSMC kext, E2201 kext, and custom built HackrNVMeFamily-10_12_5.kext for NVME controller
-> Sierra and Clover install fine. Then the BIOS accepts to boot from it. Then I get kernel panic due to APIC driver not found (I think...) I tried again without injected kexts in failsafe mode, it goes further, but panics about the NVME kext (which is to be expected I guess...)

I'm running out of ideas. Has anybody any idea as to what I could try next? My guts feeling is that I could have Clover work by applying all the patches and config I found elsewhere (can't recall the URL, but its on this forum, with notably patches for the APIC), but it should be better getting Unibeast working on my GUID partition. What else?

Thanks in advance, and:
- Sorry about bad English, I'm French...
- Sorry about possibly noob questions, it's my first attempt at Hackintosh, and first PC build in 15 years...

EDIT 1: Here is the list of patches I intend to apply to my Clover : https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/testing-thread-skylake-platform-in-os-x.176407/
EDIT 2: Do you think it all comes down to a stupid disk space problem? I read somewhere (can't remember where) I could install with 8Gb stick, but the latest guide (the one with GPT partition) states 16Gb. Should I try buying larger stick?

Last edited:
I self answered my question using a (clever?) trick: I installed the very same Unibeast on a GPT 16GB disk image.

The problem lies in the USB stick size: It definitly needs to be larger than 8GB. I can hope again! I'll let you know how it goes once I can put my hands on one. (Is this place the right one to post on successes? I think I haven't seen my specific config (Z170 + 960 EVO NVME M.2) with Sierra yet...)

Thanks again, and sorry I bogged you with all of this.

When I choose the usb drive to install Hackintosh for the first time, should I choose "(UEFI) usb drive", or just normal "usb drive"?

When I choose the usb drive to install Hackintosh for the first time, should I choose "(UEFI) usb drive", or just normal "usb drive"?

UEFI. Better to boot Clover in UEFI than Legacy.

Try to prepare the installation usb first. It's a huge OS :)

BTW, how to check the compatibility with my laptop?

Hi, I have a problem during installation, it hangs on the apple
Please help me

gigabyte z170-hd3p
i7 6700
1060 6gb
16gb ddr4

my motherboard wifi(asus maximus viii alpha) doesn't work on sierra 10.12.5
pls help me

Back