Contribute
Register

UniBeast: Install macOS Sierra on Any Supported Intel-based PC

@eflynn, please update your profile (personal details) with your Motherboard or Make/Model, CPU and Graphics Card.

macOS Sierra supports only CPUs with SSE4 support.
I updated the Motherboard, CPU and Graphics card information. Looking at it all I may need to just start fresh, but if I have an option of upgrading what I have it would be nice to keep.

What is the best way to do a clean install? Is it possible to save the apps?

What is the best way to do a clean install? Is it possible to save the apps?
best way to clean install is to boot with the usb installer and re partition / format the hard drive

saving your apps, when you log back into appstore, your apps will be listed under purchase history, you can then re download them

Can you please attach your Clover config.plist for me? I have a similar build and would like to see what I'm doing wrong.

Everything working

i7 4790k
z97x-ud3h-bk
16GB
Gigabyte Nvidia 680GTXOC-4GB
Dual Monitors
USB3
Onboard Audio ALC1150
Onboard NICView attachment 215163

If it isn't broken don't fix it. I learned the hard way. I would recommend building a new machine.
I have a build that was put together several years ago. It is currently running on a dual boot with Leopard 10.6.4 and Windows 7. I am wondering at this point if it would be better to just start from scratch with the hardware I have or try to upgrade to Sierra and Windows 10 or if it is even possible to upgrade to these given the components I am using. Is it possible to do a clean install of Sierra and Windows 10 on my current system and how difficult would this be?

Here are some specs on the PC.

Model Name: Mac Pro
Model Identifier: MacPro3,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 1.86 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 2 MB
Memory: 8 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
Boot ROM Version: MP31.006C.B02
SMC Version (system): 1.30f3

10.6.4 Leopard
Windows 7 dual boot

I also have some older components that I would like to retain, such as a firewire card and would like to update the CD RW to a Blue Ray player and burner.

Maybe it would even be possible to upgrade the memory board and processor and use a lot of the current components?

I have never built a hackintosh before as this was built some years ago by a friend of mine who I have fallen out of contact with. I do have experience in putting together PC's and adding components, but this would be either the fist upgrade or build of a hackintosh. What would be the best route to go? Start from scratch and follow a new build with new components or can I upgrade with what I currently have? Any suggestions or on where to start would be helpful.

Just expressing my thanks for this. Everything running perfectly and smoothly. Much smoother than when I installed El Capitan.

@WedgeTail Have you looked for Sierra under the Purchased tab ? If you have previously downloaded Sierra and it is still somewhere on your Mac you'd need to delete it first, even from the trash before you can re-download.
Hi - turned out that I had to delete every version of Install macOS on my system. I had some old ones in Time Machine, and versions for previous versions of OS X on attached external drives. After a comprehensive search and delete, download worked fine!

Hi - turned out that I had to delete every version of Install macOS on my system. I had some old ones in Time Machine, and versions for previous versions of OS X on attached external drives. After a comprehensive search and delete, download worked fine!

Your Q6600 CPU won't work with Sierra as you need SSE4.1 to run that. You could upgrade to a newer quad core CPU that does have SSE4.1 Something like a Q9500 would work nicely.

Instructions most helpful. I got to Step 5 point 5, During the completion mode it goes into a boot loop- Yellow screen reboot etc.
then back to the Yellow screen. Thinks I need a little help please.

Instructions most helpful. I got to Step 5 point 5, During the completion mode it goes into a boot loop- Yellow screen reboot etc.
then back to the Yellow screen. Thinks I need a little help please.
This is a guide thread and not for support issues. Post in the correct forum, probably Sierra Desktop support.

Back