Contribute
Register

Unibeast High Sierra installer can't see Drives/partitions.

Motherboard
GA-Z68XP-UD5
CPU
i7
Graphics
GT 240
Hi guys, have created a High Sierra unibeast usb installer as specified in the guides.

Currently running Mac OS Sierra and wanting to create a fresh install running High Sierra on a seperate SSD.
Problem I've come across is the installer simply can't see any internal or external drives to install on ??

When in the installer, diskutility can see the drives but can't see any active mounted partitions.
Have tried mounting said partitions using terminal when in (installer) but get message "failed to write to last block etc"
I know these partitions are without problems as they work fine and can clearly be seen or used etc when I'm booted
in to my sierra system so am at a loss ??

Have seen one other thread on here others having a similar issue and have tried various suggestions to no avail.

Any other knowledgable blokes got any suggestions ???

Motherboard
ASUS P7P55D-E-Pro - 1703
CPU
X3480
Graphics
RX 580
Classic Mac
Power Mac, PowerBook, SE, SE/30
Mobile Phone
Android
Hi guys, have created a High Sierra unibeast usb installer as specified in the guides.

Currently running Mac OS Sierra and wanting to create a fresh install running High Sierra on a seperate SSD.
Problem I've come across is the installer simply can't see any internal or external drives to install on ??

Any other knowledgable blokes got any suggestions ???
This is a quite common problem, as you'll have noticed. I spent a few months slowly working my way through issues installing HS on even older board than yours (a 5-series ASUS P7P55D-E-Pro). For me, using the Unibeast-generated installer (Legacy BIOS), if I had my SSD on the grey Marvell SATA ports the High Sierra installer could see them and format the drive, but Clover couldn't see them to boot the next stage of the installer. If I plugged into one of the blue Intel SATA ports, the High Sierra installer wouldn't recognize the drive and failed to format it with the infamous "last block" error. If I installed on Marvell, then unplugged the drive and moved it to Intel SATA ports, I got stuck "waiting for root device" and the forbidden sign.

Usually, this behaviour is related to a lack of correct SATA/AHCI support in your USB installer setup. You need the right kexts and drivers in your clover setup. You likely need to patch your AppleAHCIport.kext using the instructions in the thread here (post #14) https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/solved-ich10r-and-high-sierra.233435/. Also try making your own installer (see the insanelymac guide linked in the forum above).

Good luck!