Graphics
EVGA GTX 1080 SC Gaming ACX 3.0
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello!

I recently decided to try to replace my family's unbearably slow 2011 iMac with a Hackintosh built from my old custom PC. I successfully followed the very clear and informative instructions here and was apparently able to get a version of Mac OS X High Sierra on to my flash drive correctly.

However, during Step 4: Install Mac OS X High Sierra after selecting the USB drive to boot rather than the primary HD in the BIOS, nothing happens and it continues to boot to my normal Desktop running Windows 10.

Any ideas or Recommendations? I've tried reformatting my Flash Drive so every possible type to get it to work and reinstalled the OS X, but to no effect; after selecting to boot from the correct USB in BIOS of my MoBo I simply am loading to my Windows 10 home screen as normal as if the USB had nothing on it.

Here are some specs of the Desktop I'm attempting to install to and the flash drive:

Desktop:
Intel i5 4570K Processor
16 GB DDR3 1600Mhz RAM
GeForce GTX 660Ti
250 GB Seagate SSD (Primary OS location)
ASRock Z77 Extreme4 Motherboard

Flash Drive:
Sandisk 32 GB

I have successfully loaded OS X Sierra with UniBeast onto three separate flash drives (32GB 3.0, 16 GB 2.0, 8GB 2.0), and none get me to a boot menu, but to the usual "Insert Bootable Device and Restart" message. I tried disconnecting all other HDs, SSDs, external volumes, optical drives, etc as well.

Any ideas or input is appreciated! Thank You!

Last edited:
The Rules said:
Profiles need to contain at least your primary system to assist others with helping you
It is good practise to disconnect all other drives while you install the OS.
Boot from your boot menu (usually f12) rather than relying on your BIOS settings.

It is good practise to disconnect all other drives while you install the OS.
Boot from your boot menu (usually f12) rather than relying on your BIOS settings.

I do boot from the Boot Menu rather than BIOS Settings, sorry I should've made that more clear.

And I just disconnected all HDs, SSDs, Optical Drives, external and internal from the desktop and ran the boot menu again (it's F11 for this specific Mobo), and I get the standard "Reboot and select proper boot device" screen.

The Rules said:
Profiles need to contain at least your primary system to assist others with helping you

Profile.png

Faced same issue with a usb 3 finger drive, then I used a usb 2 card reader and it’s worked. Probably efi booting from usb 3 device is not possible for some bios.
ps: try usb 2 port, first

I do boot from the Boot Menu rather than BIOS Settings, sorry I should've made that more clear.

And I just disconnected all HDs, SSDs, Optical Drives, external and internal from the desktop and ran the boot menu again (it's F11 for this specific Mobo), and I get the standard "Reboot and select proper boot device" screen.
Then it would appear that your USB is unbootable.

Faced same issue with a usb 3 finger drive, then I used a usb 2 card reader and it’s worked. Probably efi booting from usb 3 device is not possible for some bios.
ps: try usb 2 port, first

This was actually what I tried initially with a different 16GB USB 2 flash drive, but to the same result. Could it be that it wasn’t 32GB? I saw in the UniBeast troubleshooting it only works with 32GB+ flash drives, my 2.0 flash drive was only 16.

I saw in the UniBeast troubleshooting it only works with 32GB+ flash drives
Read it again.
It must be at least 8GB and less than 32GB.

Then it would appear that your USB is unbootable.
The thing is I tried this with another 16GB USB 2.0 that also apparently successfully was installed with High Sierra, but it had the same effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back