Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> Unibeast 9.1 - fails creating USB for Legacy Boot (copy of apfs.efi failed...)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you so much guys!

This is very easy

1st format hard drive then name it USB

open terminal and type this

sudo diskutil partitionDisk /dev/disk2 GPT JHFS+ USB R

then create the installer usb normally with Unibeast

thats it

This is the standard advice you find in every thread, but it simply does not work when the version of the OS you are installing uses the name "macOS Base System" instead of "OSX Base System." The workaround I posted is required because the shell script is hard-coded to look for the volume "OSX Base System", not "macOS Base System." This will have to be changed in Unibeast before it will work correctly and people will keep running into this issue.

I have the same issue and cant use UEFI since my target system has a BIOS, too, so i need to use legacy, right?

I ried to install Mojave 14.4.4 on Macbook Air with Unibeast 9.1.0.
Using the terminal to erase the usb stick worked, however the problem with copying apfs.efi persists.

EDIT: the workaround with copying the APFS file worked and the USB drive was created. Thanks!

Last edited:
Yes, the workaround worked perfectly! Many thanks!

Try extracting copy_apfs.sh from this zip file and replacing the one in Unibeast/Contents/Resources. (Right-click on Unibeast, select Show Package Contents.) All I did was a find/replace of "OS\ X\ Base\ System" with "macOS\ Base\ System" (without the quotes).
Thanks, Augie! This was driving me bananas until I saw your posts. Cheers.

I am attaching a screen shot of the folder structure I ended with.
I overwrote the copy_apfs.zip file but I am still getting the error.
I was trying to decipher the paths to manually put everything together but I must be missing something.

The MacBook Pro I am using is also on mojave, not sure if that has any effect?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-10-15 at 12.03.13 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-10-15 at 12.03.13 PM.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 135
I am attaching a screen shot of the folder structure I ended with.
I overwrote the copy_apfs.zip file but I am still getting the error.
I was trying to decipher the paths to manually put everything together but I must be missing something.

The MacBook Pro I am using is also on mojave, not sure if that has any effect?

This workaround is no longer required on the Unibeast 9.2.0 (current version as of this post date). Using it might cause you more problems because the file is from an older version of Unibeast. Your error is probably caused by something unrelated to this issue.

It must be something unrelated. I did try it without the workaround but I did get the same error so that is why I ended up with that page.
Is there any other place I can check for that error? It looks like the files are compiled but the efi is separate drive on my computer.

But can you use 9.2 to install High Sierra?

Confirmed (with 10.14.2), fails only with Legacy install. (UniBeast 9.2 running on a Late 2009 Mac Mini). Will fail whether it is a GPT or MBR drive.

Works fine if UEFI is chosen.

This worked for me - downloaded unibest 9.1.0 (current is 9.2.0), and formatted disk as mbr.

worked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back