Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> Unibeast 9.1 - fails creating USB for Legacy Boot (copy of apfs.efi failed...)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I kept having this problem making a Unibeast drive from 10.14.3. If you open a terminal and type ls /Volumes, do you see a folder named "macOS Base System" or "OS X Base System"? Unibeast/Contents/Resources/copy_apfs.sh appears to hard code the path "OS X Base System" so it fails when trying to run the command to copy the file. I don't know under what circumstances you would see one or the other. (Guessing it's a recent change.) You can modify the copy_apfs.sh file, or just copy the file yourself to the correct folder. It seems like copy_apfs.sh is the last thing that's run in the batch, so I think just copying the file to the correct location should work so you don't have to wait through the whole process again. Note that the final location of the apfs.efi file depends on UEFI/Legacy install and also whether it's a GPT or MBR formatted drive in Legacy mode. You can see the locations in the copy_apfs.sh script.

Last edited:
I tried to create it on a real Mac with 10.14.3 and it failed in the same way...
My architecture
MacBook air : mac os 10.14.3
Download: Mac OS 10.14.3 (success)
Download: Mac OS 10.14.4 (failed)
Testing twice is the same result, only Legacy Boot

Try extracting copy_apfs.sh from this zip file and replacing the one in Unibeast/Contents/Resources. (Right-click on Unibeast, select Show Package Contents.) All I did was a find/replace of "OS\ X\ Base\ System" with "macOS\ Base\ System" (without the quotes).

Attachments

• copy_apfs.zip
    644 bytes · Views: 409
I will try! Thanks!

Was having the same problem - had bounced around the forums trying the various suggested solutions. This work around appears to have worked for me - (Creating on 2015, 11-Inch MacBook air running 10.14.4)

Was having the same problem - had bounced around the forums trying the various suggested solutions. This work around appears to have worked for me - (Creating on 2015, 11-Inch MacBook air running 10.14.4)

Good to hear!

There was a link earlier in the thread about error reporting. However, I even tried 9.0.0 version and that failed. I am now torn between the cause. 9.0 worked for me when I installed Mojave in December this year. Something I did made it not boot any more and I decided to just put a fresh install on after weeks of trouble shooting. So the new version 9.1 was released for Unibeast and it gave me this error. I reverted back to 9.0 and it is still the same. I am confused if it actually is unibeast or something else. I've downloaded a few different installers on different real macs and they do the same error on both versions of unibeast.

There was a link earlier in the thread about error reporting. However, I even tried 9.0.0 version and that failed. I am now torn between the cause. 9.0 worked for me when I installed Mojave in December this year. Something I did made it not boot any more and I decided to just put a fresh install on after weeks of trouble shooting. So the new version 9.1 was released for Unibeast and it gave me this error. I reverted back to 9.0 and it is still the same. I am confused if it actually is unibeast or something else. I've downloaded a few different installers on different real macs and they do the same error on both versions of unibeast.

Did you see my message here? https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...t-copy-of-apfs-efi-failed.274198/post-1935011

The volume name was changed from OS X Base System to macOS Base System and the shell script used to copy this file is now trying to copy the file from the wrong path. This can't possibly work until an update is made to Unibeast to address this, or else just modify the file yourself or download the modified shell script I posted here: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...t-copy-of-apfs-efi-failed.274198/post-1935358

Hi,

I'm trying to create a bootable USB Unibeast for Mojave but since i need Legacy Boot it fails at some point saying that the "copy of apfs.efi failed".
Can you help me?

Thank you!
View attachment 395621

This is very easy

1st format hard drive then name it USB

open terminal and type this

sudo diskutil partitionDisk /dev/disk2 GPT JHFS+ USB R

then create the installer usb normally with Unibeast

thats it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back