Register

Unibeast 7.01 Won't Boot

Status
Not open for further replies.
CPU
Intel Core 2 Duo
Graphics
Nvidia GeForce 8400 GS
I had been using chameleon enoch to boot my system (HP Compaq dc7800 with Nvidia GeForce 8400 GS) because I was having problems with clover. I couldn't get enoch to work with Sierra, so I decided to try clover again. I made a "legacy boot" USB in Unibeast with inject nvidia on. When I select my USB in BIOS, it says
Code:
Attempting boot from USB device
b1f:init6
and then goes to a black screen with a single underscore at the top left. I left it like that for 5 minutes and nothing changed, so I killed the power.
Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?
I have attached the /Extra folder that works with enoch in El Capitan.

Attachments

• Extra.zip
    6.5 MB · Views: 149
What Intel Core 2 Duo processor do you have?

Sierra supports only CPUs with SSE4 support.

What Intel Core 2 Duo processor do you have?

Sierra supports only CPUs with SSE4 support.
Core 2 duo e6850 (looks like it's sse3). Would you recommend Ihe sse3 compatibility option in the Enoch installer?

Core 2 duo e6850 (looks like it's sse3). Would you recommend Ihe sse3 compatibility option in the Enoch installer?

Stick with El Capitan, Sierra will not run with this CPU, not with Enoch or Clover.

I have the exact same problem trying to install Sierra on my GA-EX58-UD4P system and i7-975 Bloomfield processor, which has SSE4 support. I'm starting with a new SSD, not an upgrade.

As the OP states, after I choose to boot from the USB it reads b1f:init for a while, then puts a 6 at the end, clears the screen and has an underscore at the top left, with nothing else. No other activity.

I followed the installation directions to a tee.

I understand the X58 mobos were weird with El Capitan and Sierra. I've been reading these forums for hours looking for a solution. There's some weirdness about having to change the config.plist to identify the machine as a MacPro5,1 so that it won't run a check for ECC memory (which I don't have) but I don't know how to do that. Go back to the running Mac computer I downloaded Sierra with and run Clover Configurator to change it in the config.plist on the USB? Manually edit the config.plist with a text editor on the working Mac? I'm utterly confused.

TIA for any help anyone can provide.

Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD4P
Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1333MHz 4GB x4 DIMMs
Intel Core i7-975 3.33GHz Bloomfield
GeForce GTS-250

I have the exact same problem trying to install Sierra on my GA-EX58-UD4P system and i7-975 Bloomfield processor, which has SSE4 support. I'm starting with a new SSD, not an upgrade.

As the OP states, after I choose to boot from the USB it reads b1f:init for a while, then puts a 6 at the end, clears the screen and has an underscore at the top left, with nothing else. No other activity.

I followed the installation directions to a tee.

I understand the X58 mobos were weird with El Capitan and Sierra. I've been reading these forums for hours looking for a solution. There's some weirdness about having to change the config.plist to identify the machine as a MacPro5,1 so that it won't run a check for ECC memory (which I don't have) but I don't know how to do that. Go back to the running Mac computer I downloaded Sierra with and run Clover Configurator to change it in the config.plist on the USB? Manually edit the config.plist with a text editor on the working Mac? I'm utterly confused.

TIA for any help anyone can provide.

Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD4P
Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1333MHz 4GB x4 DIMMs
Intel Core i7-975 3.33GHz Bloomfield
GeForce GTS-250
You could try iMac 14,2 smbios. It doesn't have ECC RAM. I'm not sure if that would change anything.
Alternatively, you could switch to chameleon enoch, but people on this forum don't seem to like it very much. I haven't had the opportunity to test Enoch with Sierra personally, but several websites say it works and it seems to work fine until the kernel fails to start because of my CPU.

You could try iMac 14,2 smbios. It doesn't have ECC RAM. I'm not sure if that would change anything.
Alternatively, you could switch to chameleon enoch, but people on this forum don't seem to like it very much. I haven't had the opportunity to test Enoch with Sierra personally, but several websites say it works and it seems to work fine until the kernel fails to start because of my CPU.

How do you change the smbios? I am retrieving my copy of Sierra from a Late 2011 MacBook Pro (13 inch). Is there a way to do that without editing the system configuration of the MacBook itself, but only the flash drive?

How do you change the smbios? I am retrieving my copy of Sierra from a Late 2011 MacBook Pro (13 inch). Is there a way to do that without editing the system configuration of the MacBook itself, but only the flash drive?
If you use clover:
You will want to use clover configurator on the config.plist on your flash drive. You may need to mount the flash drive's EFI partition. The settings you want to change are in the SMBIOS menu, which can be selected from the left side of the clover configurator menu. For a generic desktop, this site seems to like iMac 14,2 settings. Disclaimer: I have never successfully used clover, since my hardware is incompatible, so I may have left out an important step by mistake.
If you use chameleon enoch:
You will want to use chameleon wizard to generate a smbios.plist and put it in /[path to your flash drive]/Extra. I have successfully used this method with iMac 14,2 settings with El Capitan, so I expect it would work fine with Sierra.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back