Contribute
Register

Unibeast 6.0 works fine, but no ethernet after post-installation - GA-Z77-DS3H - Core i5 3570k - GTX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z77-DS3H
CPU
i5-3570K
Graphics
GTX 660 Ti
[SOLVED] Unibeast 6.0 works fine, but no ethernet after post-installation - GA-Z77-DS3H - Core i5 3570k - GTX 660Ti

[Edit : problem solved, thanks to FinderA and ammulder - See #4 message]

Hi !

Everything is fine about the Mac OS X El Capitan installation on my GA-Z77-DS3H rev 1.0 + Core i5 3570k with the new Unibeast 6.0

I was successful at every step, including the installation of Clover in UEFI mode on my new El Capitan Drive, and the change of the config.plist SMBIOS with the Mac Pro 3,1 definition by Clover Configurator.

Things are becoming weird with the installation of the package CustoMac Essentials.pkg

After installation then a successful reboot, i have no internet connexion, and i was unable to add an ethernet port in the Network preferences. I read that other users on the forum relate the very same wrong experience.

Looking, further, I noticed that the package
CustoMac Essentials.pkg does install the 4 kexts FakeSMC.kext, AppleIntelE1000e.kext, AtherosE2200Ethernet.kext, RealtekRTL8111.kext in /Library/Extensions of the El Capitan drive, but not in the EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.11 of the EFI partition.

For me it's a bit strange because i thought that the point of Clover was on the contrary to let the OS X drive clean with no mess in the system files, and to put the missing kexts into the EFI partition.

So i tried to put manually the 4 kexts into the EFI volume (EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.11), but it still doesn't work.

What did i miss ? It's a bit frustrating because I feel I'm very close to succeed in the El Capitan installation.

Maybe remove all those Ethernet kexts and try network kexts one at a time? You could start with ALXEthernet like the previous poster suggested -- I see the board specs says is has an Atheros chip but not which one, but I think I also see an older report that ALXEthernet.kext was the right one.

It works ! Thank you a lot for your advice !

I didn't use the CustoMac Essentials.kg : I still don't understand why it installs the kexts in /Library/Extensions instead of the kexts folder in the EFI partition as it should do in the Clover way of thinking.

So, these are the steps I followed :
- install OS X El Capitan on my main drive with Unibeast 6.0 : works fine ;
- reboot with Unibeast USB key on my fresh new OS X El Capitan drive ;
- install Clover with Clover_v2.3k_r3270_UEFI.pkg on that drive ;
- with Clover configurator, i updated my SMBIOS of the config.plist with the iMac 13,2 description, as i did previously on every installations with Unibeast/Multibeast the past 2 years ;
- with Clover configurator, I mounted the EFI partition of the Unibeast 6.0 USB key ;
- forget Customac essentials.kg form the Tony's auto. I copied the 3 kexts FakeSMC.kext, AppleIntelE1000e.kext, RealtekRTL8111.kext from (in EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.11) into the EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.11 of the EFI partition of my main drive - I didn't copy the non-working AtherosE2200Ethernet.kext ;
- I copied the ALXEthernet.kext downloaded from the link you gave me.
[Edit 2015-10-4 09:42AM : there are crash issues on uploading tasks with Shailuas's ALXEthernet.kext]
- I copied the AtherosL1cEthernet.kext you can find here (account required) or in attachment to that post.
- set Inject Kexts to Yes in Clover Configurator -> System parameter.

And "voilà !" After rebooting from the main drive, without Unibeast USB key, i had access to the internet.

About USB ports :
- USB 2.0 : those of the mother board work fine. Those of the front panel of my case doesn't.
- USB 3.0 : all ports are in function (that is better than in Yosemite : i never succeeded to make them work all at the same time).

About booting form USB key or OS X El Capitan main drive :
- every time I wanted to change the drive/key from where i want to load the Clover boot loader, I had to select in my motherboard settings the right UEFI drive/USB key in the Boot options. I never succeeded to boot from the main drive with the F12 command if the USB key was selected as first in the boot option, and vice-versa.

Attachments

• AtherosL1cEthernet.kext.zip
    57.6 KB · Views: 501
Last edited:
Don't you need a kext for sound too or is this no more necessary in El Capitain for your board?

Change Inject kexts from Detect to Yes. And for Audio use Toledas Clover Audio Injection. Attach your Config.plist.

Don't you need a kext for sound too or is this no more necessary in El Capitain for your board?

I never care about audio because I have USB speakers (Harman Kardon soundsticks i have for 13 years…). But i will do something about it later, for the fun of it (!).

By the way, I just had a crash while performing a speed test (nPerf) on internet and I remember that the very old kext network I put gave me some issues on that task and sometimes on transfer with AFP protocol under Mac OS X 10.8 or 10.9.

I will test other network kexts to avoid that trouble, and keep that thread updated.

It works !
Strange... I failed again. Network card isn't visible in El Capitan no matter what I did.
Can you show step by step what you did? Did you use full Clover or custom package from Tony guide?

Have you tried changing Inject kexts to Yes? and putting ALXEthernet into EFI/Clover/kexts/10.11? make sure that you don't have Fixlan in your Config.plist.

I just had a crash while performing a speed test (nPerf) on internet and I remember that the very old kext network I put gave me some issues on that task and sometimes on transfer with AFP protocol under Mac OS X 10.8 or 10.9.

To fix the crash with network uploads (on internet or on the LAN) :
- I deleted the old Shailua's ALXEthernet.kext form my EFI partition ;
- I replaced it by the one I used on my previous configuration : that was the
AtherosL1cEthernet.kext, I retrieved it in a Time Machine Backup ;
- then I set Inject Kexts to Yes in Clover Configurator -> System parameter as jbamford suggested.

Now it works fine : no crash anymore.

I will edit my step by step to make things simpler to read.

The USB 2.0 ports of my front panel still doesn't work. All the USB 3.0 ports work fine.

I will have a look about audio, front panel USB 2.0 and iMessage later.

Strange... I failed again. Network card isn't visible in El Capitan no matter what I did.
Can you show step by step what you did? Did you use full Clover or custom package from Tony guide?

That's the custom package of Tonymaccx86 :
- install Clover with Clover_v2.3k_r3270_UEFI.pkg on that drive ;

jbamford : I put my config.plist in attachment. You can have a look on it if you want :)

Attachments

• config.plist
    4 KB · Views: 406
  • AtherosL1cEthernet.kext.zip
    57.6 KB · Views: 230
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back