Contribute
Register

Uncut G4 Cube Mod ( ongoing project)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I didn't mention that the Cube was going to replace my old Mac Mini (2007) as my living room HTPC . The Cube logical location would have been in a tray below the HDTV , but with a one year old lurking around that was asking for troubles.

So I safely placed it in a shelf next to the HDTV.

I know that! Fortunately, here this is no problem anymore... Can't wait to see your final detail pics.

Yes , that will be my next challenge! The Cube build was a sort of rehearsal.

Cheers

Cool! Much people here have "done" their Cube project and now they are looking for an even more difficult project. :ugeek: :ugeek:
G5 = beginner
G4 Cube = advanced
iMac G4 = professional
and then? ... :lol:

MacTester

Final Pictures

IO Ports

64081-io-ports-2.JPG

64080-io-ports-1.JPG

Wifi Antennas & Cabling
64086-wifi-antenna-2.JPG

64084-wifi-antenna-1.JPG
64083-io-ports-cabling.JPG

Cheers
iCubeFan

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations, you have done an excellent job in keeping to the aesthetics of the case, the purity of the original cube switch, and passive cooling, and well documented project also.

Good luck with the next build, did you say iMac G4?

Congratulations, you have done an excellent job in keeping to the aesthetics of the case, the purity of the original cube switch, and passive cooling, and well documented project also.

+1 on Kiwi's comments. Great job iCubeFan, excellent work!

Ersterhernd

Good luck with the next build, did you say iMac G4?

Thanks Kiwi it would't have been possible without all of you.
Yes, the next one will be the iMac G4, this time I'm going to spend more time in the planning phase to avoid future issues.

+1 on Kiwi's comments. Great job iCubeFan, excellent work!

Ersterhernd

Thanks Erterhernd! I had lots of fun. It was my first mod and definitely not the last.

Cheers
iCubeFan

note: I "moved" my replies to my Cube thread to avoid cluttering MacTester's iMac thread

Another possibility is based on the fact that each component functions independently, but in a certain combination an issue is evident, I would suspect a grounding issue, also know as a ground loop, Often caused by poor grounding, solution is to ensure everything is properly connected to a common ground.

The iFire AMP is connected to the PicoPSU's 12V/ground (via a molex connector) while the audio line out is connected to a NUC USB port. Could that be the cause?

Thanks for the links. Clipping is discarded.

PS Am a fan of your cube.

Thanks. It's a humble project compared to yours!

Upgraded to Clover/Yosemite

Special thanks to ersterhernd for his help!

ICubeFan, not sure if you monitor this thread but if you do, may I ask where you gout the male to female barrel power extender? I bought one off eBay but the male part does not insert into the NUC pore socket. Looks like the hole in the male part is too small. Was there a specific size you bought? Thanks.

EDIT.

Got the info. NUC uses a 5.5mm x 2.5mm jack, the extension I had was a 5.5mm x 2.1mm. I found an adapter for a couple of bucks which did the trick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back