Contribute
Register

Uncut G4 Cube Mod ( ongoing project)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to find a small USB Audio Card , ideally an internal one if it exists. Any ideas?
You need to ask our audio expert MacTester, his latest build he uses a USB to audio device, mounted internally in the case. See details in this post.

Hi Kiwi,

Thanks for the tip! It's an option, a little bit expensive though.
I'm not a big audiophile so something simpler/cheaper will do it.

@mactester can you recommend a size similar but simpler device ?

No, at the moment I can not recommend another small audio device. The HiFimeDIY supports:
-SPDIF-Out incl. DTS Encoding in VLC
-24/96 Analog Output in good quality. Driver is not 100% stable @ 24/96 however!
-Headphone output
-Digital volume regulation via Apple KB and IR-Remote!

MacTester

No, at the moment I can not recommend another small audio device. The HiFimeDIY supports:
-SPDIF-Out incl. DTS Encoding in VLC
-24/96 Analog Output in good quality. Driver is not 100% stable @ 24/96 however!
-Headphone output
-Digital volume regulation via Apple KB and IR-Remote!

MacTester

Thanks for the info. MacTester I don't need so many features.
I'll be using the Apple Pro Speakers ( almost identical to the Cube Speakers) powered by a Griffin iFire Adapter.

I found a smaller version of the Sabre USB DAC with less features

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HiFimeDIY-S...468?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e7a62f10c

I'll be using the Apple Pro Speakers ( almost identical to the Cube Speakers) powered by a Belkin iFire Adapter

Hmm, I thought the iFire only has FireWire?

MacTester

Hmm, I thought the iFire only has FireWire?

MacTester

Yes but only for power.I'll use jberg44 's "fake" firewire plug trick.

http://www.dremeljunkie.com/2013/01/imac-g4-ivy-bridge-hackintosh-finishing.html said:
With the exception of some cosmetics, I have completed the back ports. They include 4 USBs, though 1 is used by a small Bluetooth adapter, a 3.5mm audio jack, the native AC power plug, and a "fake" Firewire 400 plug. Its fake because it isn't a true firewire cable, it is only connected to a 12V Molex/Ground, so it supplies only power. This is for use with the Griffin ifire adapter which gets its power from firwire and its signal from a 3.5mm audio jack and has an apple minijack out for the apple pro speakers. This is very much akin to the original apple pro speakers that came with the G4 Cube. They used an external amp which plugged into a special "high voltage USB port". So although the speakers are not directly plugged in like the original, with the iFire, no additional power source is needed. I did not want to break open and try to internalize the iFire. This would have wasted the valuable iFire and constrained this mod to only those speakers. The iFire also allows lengthening of the speaker cable, which is far to short on the apple pro speakers.

Hi MacTester

Thanks for the recommendation!

I already own the iFire Adapter , I bought it for my Mac Mini years ago.So the only missing part for my setup was the usb audio device.

I went ahead and ordered the Sabre USB DAC's little brother http://www.ebay.com/itm/HiFimeDIY-Sa...item1e7a62f10c
it's a smaller and less powerful version of the one you're using in your Mac Audio Mod. but more than enough for my build

Cheers

Miscellaneous stuff

Today I finished the design of the aluminum custom plate that I'll order to the laser hive.

58714-custom-plate-drawing.png

It has an opening for HDMI and another one for Thunderbolt , not for the connector (that will be internal) but for the cable.
Thanks to minihack for posting this

I also applied thermal compound to the heat spreader and the heat sink and finally fixed the mobo to the Cube core.
After that I ran geekbench:

58712-geekbench-scores.jpg

and monitored idle temps for 40 minutes.

58713-temps-idle-40-min.jpg

to be continued

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow those core temps look terrific, iCubeFan!

Much lower than the intel stock NUC cooler. My idles sit at 60+ all the time in my Cube PSU build.

Question...

Have you got sleep working? Mine sleeps just fine, but refuses to re-wake. Screen remains black and the system restarts shortly thereafter.

Ersterhernd

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back