Intel Core I3
Graphics
Intel HD 4000
Mac
iMac, MacBook Air, Mac mini
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
iOS
I think I'm following. What you suggest would spread the force working against the glue/adhesive across 7 screws/standoffs instead of 4, right?
Exactly. Take a look at pics # 3 & 4 from this build.That's the idea.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/powermac-...i-think-apple-might-have-done.html#post387639

Did you ever measure the offset of the northbridge chip to the CPU chip? I know there's a very slight difference in height. A temporary thermal pad may be necessary while my copper shims are on their way (on a slow boat from China.)
Sorry I never measured it.

The picoPSUs are a little messy just for 5VSB. But I also intend to power a 2.5" SSD or two. So I'm considering my options here.
For 5VSB only you can use something like this.It's way cheaper and smaller than a pico psu
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Adjustable-...353?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43ae4818c9
I bought one just for the sake of experimentation and it does the trick.

Motherboard
Intel Nuc
CPU
Intel Core I3
Graphics
Intel HD 4000
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
iOS
Motherboard
Intel Nuc
CPU
Intel Core I3
Graphics
Intel HD 4000
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
iOS
Upgraded to Clover/Yosemite

Special thanks to ersterhernd for his help!

Motherboard
Intel NUC D54250WYK
CPU
i5-4250U
Graphics
Intel HD 5000
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
ICubeFan, not sure if you monitor this thread but if you do, may I ask where you gout the male to female barrel power extender? I bought one off eBay but the male part does not insert into the NUC pore socket. Looks like the hole in the male part is too small. Was there a specific size you bought? Thanks.

EDIT.

Got the info. NUC uses a 5.5mm x 2.5mm jack, the extension I had was a 5.5mm x 2.1mm. I found an adapter for a couple of bucks which did the trick.