Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> Unbootable after power hit: internal SSDs corrupted?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus MAXIMUS XI HERO
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
RX5700 XT
Mac
  1. iMac
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
My KiKi system has lived through many a power outage (our winters are hard on power lines), but from the most recent one it has not recovered.

I feared for the mobo at first, because both Win10 and Mojave were no longer bootable. Win10 reported its boot disk damaged, tried to repair, then failed to repair. Boot attempts just get me back to the American Megatrends BIOS splash screen. So that's annoying... looks like Yet Another Reinstall. Mojave OTOH gets as far as Intelmausi internet kext, then hangs.

So... I got out my handy Mojave rescue SSD and tried that. No problemo. Boots fine. The good news is, the mobo seems OK and my user files seem to be intact. So I used Disk Utility to repair the Mojave boot disk. Tried again to boot Mojave, but no luck. It gets past Intelmausi kext now, but then fails and ends up back at BIOS. So now I'm in a rather awkward position... I guess my EFI partition might have suffered damage, so I'll try replacing it with the (older) one off the rescue SSD. That will put me about a month into the past wrt patches and bugfixes, but it might at least make KiKi bootable again...

The question I have about this sad story is this: are these internal SSD drives notable for their fragility? It seems odd that both boot disks (Win10 and Mojave) are internal SSD and both seem to have become corrupted after a quite ordinary power hit while all the other connected disks seem OK. It seems even odder because Win10 was not running at the time and its boot disk is not mounted by Mojave. It should have been completely idle.

The obvious strategy is to keep bitwise copies of both disks around, so I can restore them more easily when this happens. But it would be nice to know whether this is going to keep happening :cool: My old Hack, GiGi, has always used an nVME internal SSD for boot disk, been through many power hits, and never had any issues. Is it my mobo? (ASUS MAXIMUS HERO XI)

Win10 has corrupted itself and forced a reinstall from scratch once before, and that's more or less what I expect from that OS. But I'm rather annoyed by Mojave shooting itself in the foot. Never had that happen before. Any comments, ideas, etc?

A bit of googling suggests that SSDs are, in fact, notorious for their fragility wrt unexpected power loss. However, I find it hard to explain the spectacular robustness of the nVME SSD in my first Hack, vs the apparent fragility of the two in my 2nd Hack. They're all reputable brands.

Last edited:
Maybe it's time to invest in a decent UPS.

I lost power for over a week when Hurricane Sandy hit and didn't lose any data.

My TV (which was not protected by a UPS) bit the dust.

Btw, the SSD in use when Hurricane Sandy hit is still working.

Last edited:
@pastrychef yes, I had thought about that. Is it possible with a Hackintosh to implement the "graceful shut down" feature offered by some UPS units? i.e. the UPS detects the power outage, keeps the computer running, but sends a message to the OS to do an orderly shutdown and power off?

@pastrychef yes, I had thought about that. Is it possible with a Hackintosh to implement the "graceful shut down" feature offered by some UPS units? i.e. the UPS detects the power outage, keeps the computer running, but sends a message to the OS to do an orderly shutdown and power off?

With my APC UPS connect, the shutdown options are there, just like it would be on a real Mac. Although it's never triggered on me, I have no reason to believe it wouldn't work as intended.

Screen Shot 2020-03-12 at 7.15.54 PM.png

Now this is interesting. Left 'er running all night (booted off external rescue disk) and when I rebooted this evening, presto changeo, the SSD is now bootable again! This tallies with some odd things I have read about SSD's "coming to their senses" after being powered up but idle for a period of time. (One trick that apparently can sometimes recover a "vanished" SSD for WinDoze users is to boot into BIOS and just leave the machine to sit for 30 minutes, then power off for half a minute or so, then do the 30 minutes in BIOS trick again.) I wonder if I could get really lucky and Win10 has also miraculously recovered :) guess I'll find out RSN. [update:] well hot diggety -- Win10 is back, happy as a clam. So... takeaway lesson? SSDs may magically recover after power fail if left powered up but idle for some unspecified period. Boy am I glad I don't have to install Win10 again.

I think a UPS is indicated. Oh boy, some more expensive shopping...

@pastrychef is this what you have?

Last edited:
Now this is interesting. Left 'er running all night (booted off external rescue disk) and when I rebooted this evening, presto changeo, the SSD is now bootable again! This tallies with some odd things I have read about SSD's "coming to their senses" after being powered up but idle for a period of time. (One trick that apparently can sometimes recover a "vanished" SSD for WinDoze users is to boot into BIOS and just leave the machine to sit for 30 minutes, then power off for half a minute or so, then do the 30 minutes in BIOS trick again.) I wonder if I could get really lucky and Win10 has also miraculously recovered :) guess I'll find out RSN. [update:] well hot diggety -- Win10 is back, happy as a clam. So... takeaway lesson? SSDs may magically recover after power fail if left powered up but idle for some unspecified period. Boy am I glad I don't have to install Win10 again.

I think a UPS is indicated. Oh boy, some more expensive shopping...

@pastrychef is this what you have?

With some SSDs, if you leave it powered and inactive, it will trigger it's built-in "garbage collection". This garbage collection is sometimes needed to revive what may seem as a dead SSD. I've was told to leave the suspect SSD powered overnight.

Yes, that's the UPS that I use.

Well my SSDs did not present as "dead" but they certainly thought they were corrupted. Then after sitting overnight with zero to minimal activity, they are miraculously OK today. Very confusing, but from now on I'll know that "cooking" them overnight will probably restore sanity. Glad I didn't do re-installs, restore from snapshots, etc. before discovering that they were actually OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back