Contribute
Register

Unable to use Disk Utility's Repair Permissions feature to fix OS X asking for iCloud password twice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because of how I have my HD and SSD set up, I am unable to use Disk Utility's Repair Permissions feature. I have my SSD mounted at / and my HD mounted at /Users/. This is so all my user data is on the HD, and the OS and apps are on my small SSD.

This has worked flawlessly since I have set it up. However, I am suffering from the "OS X asks for my iCloud password twice upon login" issue. I have read that to fix this you just have to run repair permissions. However, I am only able to repair the permissions on my SSD because it is mounted at /. Disk Utility refuses to run repair permissions on the HD because it is not the root partition for an OS X install. Which is normal behavior.

Please tell me which file with incorrect permissions is causing this issue so I can manually repair it's permissions.

Because of how I have my HD and SSD set up, I am unable to use Disk Utility's Repair Permissions feature. I have my SSD mounted at / and my HD mounted at /Users/. This is so all my user data is on the HD, and the OS and apps are on my small SSD.

This has worked flawlessly since I have set it up. However, I am suffering from the "OS X asks for my iCloud password twice upon login" issue. I have read that to fix this you just have to run repair permissions. However, I am only able to repair the permissions on my SSD because it is mounted at /. Disk Utility refuses to run repair permissions on the HD because it is not the root partition for an OS X install. Which is normal behavior.

Please tell me which file with incorrect permissions is causing this issue so I can manually repair it's permissions.

Another thing to check is that your system values are constant - If they are changing at every login then Apple sees it as a different computer and you will be asked for your password for iCloud.

See the iMessage guide for more info : http://www.tonymacx86.com/general-help/110471-how-fix-imessage.html

Use the iMessageDebug tool attached at the bottom of Post #1 to check consistency of values.

Another thing to check is that your system values are constant - If they are changing at every login then Apple sees it as a different computer and you will be asked for your password for iCloud.

See the iMessage guide for more info : http://www.tonymacx86.com/general-help/110471-how-fix-imessage.html

Use the iMessageDebug tool attached at the bottom of Post #1 to check consistency of values.

I was going to post the same thing for these symptoms PILGRIM

They are constant iMessage has been working flawlessly for a few weeks now.

Do you have more than one drive that you use on the same system for OS X iCloud services. i.e a back up(different drive) that has the same values that you boot between?

No.

/dev/disk0
0: GUID_partition_scheme
1: EFI EFI
2: Apple_HFS Mac OS X
3: Apple_Boot Recovery HD
/dev/disk1
2: Microsoft Basic Data Windows
3: Apple_HFS Users

Devices:
/dev/disk0: SSD
/dev/disk1: HD

Mount points:
/dev/disk0s1: /
/dev/disk1s2: /Users/

No.

/dev/disk0
2: Apple_HFS Mac OS X
3: Apple_Boot Recovery HD
/dev/disk1
2: Microsoft Basic Data Windows
3: Apple_HFS Users

Devices:
/dev/disk0: SSD
/dev/disk1: HD

Mount points:
/dev/disk0s1: /
/dev/disk1s2: /Users/

I would say somewhere along the line Apple is questioning your AppleID and system values. May it be your system, an old system, or possibly a system value mismatch with another system/mac. Possibly S/N MLB or ROM. It's worth looking at the link PILGRIM posted to double check them.

Yes I am fully aware of that guide that is what I originally used. The password prompt doesn't actually do anything. If keeps asking for the password even if its the right one. You press cancel and another one comes up. You need to press cancel on both of them. This is a common issue on Yosemite that people have been able to fix by repairing their disk permissions, or so I have heard. Reread the original post to find out why I can't do that.

Anyone have any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back