Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z97N-WIFI
CPU
i7-4790K
Graphics
RX 580
I am currently running 10.14.5. Lately my system has been kernel panicking daily. When I finally got around to looking at the crash report I saw reference to APFS, so I decided to run a Disk Utility First Aid check. I have tried this three ways: booted into the OS, booted into recovery mode, and booted off a USB drive.

Here's what I get when running from within the OS. Running off the USB volume is the same except for the warning about temporarily locking the startup volume. Running from the recovery partition throws an error that the volume cannot be unmounted.

Code:
Running First Aid on “Hackint0sh HD” (disk1s1)

NOTE: First Aid will temporarily lock the startup volume.

Verifying file system.
Volume could not be unmounted.
Using live mode.
Performing fsck_apfs -n -l -x /dev/rdisk1s1
Checking the container superblock.
Checking the EFI jumpstart record.
Checking the space manager.
Checking the space manager free queue trees.
Checking the object map.
Checking volume.
Checking the APFS volume superblock.
The volume Hackint0sh HD was formatted by hfs_convert (945.200.129) and last modified by apfs_kext (945.250.134).
Checking the object map.
Checking the snapshot metadata tree.
Checking the snapshot metadata.
Checking the extent ref tree.
Checking the fsroot tree.
error: directory valence check: directory (oid 0x130053): nchildren (1) does not match drec count (0)
error: directory valence check: directory (oid 0x130063): nchildren (2) does not match drec count (0)
error: invalid dstream.size (134218472), is greater than dstream.alloced_size (4096)
error: xf : INO_EXT_TYPE_DSTREAM : invalid dstream
error: inode_val: object (oid 0x300a3ca8a): invalid xfields
fsroot tree is invalid.
The volume /dev/rdisk1s1 could not be verified completely.
File system check exit code is 0.
Restoring the original state found as mounted.

Operation successful.

Most of my googling is telling me, "reformat your drive." Well, I'd rather not. So before I go down that road, I'm here to ask if I'm missing something obvious like an apfs_kext version or something.

Backup what you can first. If you own a Hackintosh, you should always have a second boot drive IMHO. In your case, it would have to be an SATA or USB drive. Use this as an opportunity to setup that 2nd drive. If you have no backups and you can't backup... You're out of luck. Don't forget to copy over your EFI partition to the new drive too.

Backup what you can first. If you own a Hackintosh, you should always have a second boot drive IMHO. In your case, it would have to be an SATA or USB drive. Use this as an opportunity to setup that 2nd drive. If you have no backups and you can't backup... You're out of luck. Don't forget to copy over your EFI partition to the new drive too.

You're making some inaccurate assumptions here. I'm just trying to find out if I'm missing something obvious before I go forward with reformatting and restoring data from a backup.

I’ve had that problem on a couple of occasions. I never really found what caused it but it may have been due to power outages. The file/directory structure on the disk is messed up. The only way I found to get past it without reformatting was to use Disk Warrior. Unfortunately I don’t think it will work on an APFS drive yet. I haven’t looked but there may be a different app that will work. Otherwise I fear reformatting is the only solution.

seen this

I wonder why this error occurs ? What happened and how to avoid it ?

When I do a first-aid scan on my boot volume I get a system freeze

Disk Drill has some APFS support but I don't know if it can recover from such errors yet (!). R-Studio probably can.

It's quite bizarre the only thing that really works seems to be recovering all the data, reformatting and copying them back over, which is overkill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back