Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> Unable to remove/disable Nvidia graphics card in Big Sur custom built Mac

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tried first serial port. No luck. Then parallel port and still no luck. Thank you.
disable both, clear nvram, reboot, and take a pic where it hangs

and to confirm that you have removed the nvidia from your machine?

I tried first serial port. No luck. Then parallel port and still no luck. Thank you.
With the boot errors you're getting it suggests you may have forgot one thing - remove your Nvidia software! Use their uninstaller if possible.

Below that many says it is not available for other OS. Thanks for checking.
This item is configurable only when Windows 8/10 Features is set to Windows 8/10 or Windows 8/10
WHQL.
Some [Hackintosh] guides I have seen recommend setting that accordingly (especially when multibooting). In some Gigabyte boards I've had, the equivalent setting was simply Windows. All that does (unless I'm mistaken) is preset some preliminary memory and CPU optimization defaults. It doesn't govern which OS you can or should install. Cheers.

disable both, clear nvram, reboot, and take a pic where it hangs

and to confirm that you have removed the nvidia from your machine?
Thanks for tips. I can't take pic after it hangs. There is around 5 sec delay between.Verbose texts disappear, apple logo shows, then switches to login screen breefly, and then it screen goes black, keyboard is working (caps lock etc). I took the screen shoot last verbose screens. Is there a specific log that will have this information at the time of crash? I have attached OpenCore log file. This is a fresh install of BigSur. So, I didn't personally install any NVIDIA drivers. That said, I posted earlier about keststat in which I see a NVIDIA kext. Comes from Apple I guess.
% kextstat|grep -i -e "nvidia"
Executing: /usr/bin/kmutil showloaded
No variant specified, falling back to release
99 0 0xffffff7f9b8c7000 0x2000 0x2000 com.apple.nvidia.NVDAStartup (16.0.0) B7E8FE3A-5A44-3EA0-9A3B-345B583BFF31 <14 5 3>

Yes, video card wasn't there when i tested. It doesn't make difference either way - both crashes because it's disabled in config.plist.

Attachments

• IMG_20211109_114326.jpg
    IMG_20211109_114326.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_20211109_114327.jpg
    IMG_20211109_114327.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 28
Last edited:
With the boot errors you're getting it suggests you may have forgot one thing - remove your Nvidia software! Use their uninstaller if possible.
I didn't install any Nvidia software.

Some [Hackintosh] guides I have seen recommend setting that accordingly (especially when multibooting). In some Gigabyte boards I've had, the equivalent setting was simply Windows. All that does (unless I'm mistaken) is preset some preliminary memory and CPU optimization defaults. It doesn't govern which OS you can or should install. Cheers.
Thanks. Tried that. No luck.

Thanks for tips. I can't take pic after it hangs. There is around 5 sec delay between.Verbose texts disappear, apple logo shows, then switches to login screen breefly, and then it screen goes black, keyboard is working (caps lock etc). I took the screen shoot last verbose screens. Is there a specific log that will have this information at the time of crash? I have attached OpenCore log file. This is a fresh install of BigSur. So, I didn't personally install any NVIDIA drivers. That said, I posted earlier about keststat in which I see a NVIDIA kext. Comes from Apple I guess.
% kextstat|grep -i -e "nvidia"
Executing: /usr/bin/kmutil showloaded
No variant specified, falling back to release
99 0 0xffffff7f9b8c7000 0x2000 0x2000 com.apple.nvidia.NVDAStartup (16.0.0) B7E8FE3A-5A44-3EA0-9A3B-345B583BFF31 <14 5 3>

Yes, video card wasn't there when i tested. It doesn't make difference either way - both crashes because it's disabled in config.plist.
If it is a fresh install of Big Sur and you haven’t got a Nvidia card installed then you should remove the SSDT-dGPU-Off if it has been enabled. Also need to remove -wegnoegpu if it is still present.

If it is a fresh install of Big Sur and you haven’t got a Nvidia card installed then you should remove the SSDT-dGPU-Off if it has been enabled. Also need to remove -wegnoegpu if it is still present.
Should I remove PciRoot I added to disable GPU from config.plist?

Yes delete the Nvidia PCIRoot path as well if it is present. It's not needed because you've removed the card.

https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Install-Guide/extras/spoof.html#windows-gpu-selection dortania's manual says how to get the dGPU path using Windows. I do not have windows on this. How to get the path? Example path was "\_SB.PCI0.PEG0.PEGP" which is different than PCIRoot of mine "PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1C,0x4)/Pci(0x0,0x0)". Perhaps there is a way to convert it from the following gfxutil output?
% mac/gfxutil-1/gfxutil -f GFX0
04:00.0 10de:1c82 /PCI0@0/RP05@1C,4/GFX0@0 = PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1C,0x4)/Pci(0x0,0x0)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back