Motherboard
MSI Z270 Tomahawk Arctic
CPU
i7-7700K
Graphics
GTX 1070 Ti, HD 630
Mobile Phone
iOS
Hi, I have installed macOS 10.13 High Sierra (clean install) on my PC and @RehabMan Kexts to monitor temperatures and other stuff with HWMonitor. I'd like to avoid the processor to reach 4.4GHz in order to reach a maximum of 4.1 GHz, but I'm unable to do it! I tried the following:
  • Disable Intel Turbo Boost in the BIOS/UEFI: when I boot into windows, I have a max CPU frequency of 4.1GHz (which is what I want in macOS too), but in macOS I still peak at 4.4 GHz (x44 multiplier).
  • Mounted EFI partition and removed NullCPUPowerManagement.kext from EFI/Clover/kexts/Other. I searched for NullCPUPowerManagement.kext in finder too and there was another copy in a strange folder (named with a lot of numbers), which I removed as well; the PC rebooted as soon as I deleted this copy.
  • Mounted EFI partition and imported EFI/Clover/Config.plist in Clover Configurator and set Min Multiplier to 8 and Max Multiplier to 41 (Acpi/SSDT).
After all these steps I still peak 4.4 GHz with x44 multiplier. I was surprised that this happened even after I disabled Intel Turbo Boost in the BIOS/UEFI...
Maybe my config.plist has some settings which conflicts with the Min and Max multiplier I chose, still I don't understand how I can peak to 4.4 GHz when I disabled Intel Turbo Boost.

My specs:
msi Z270 Tomahawk
i7-7700k
Intel HD 630
DDR4 2400 MHz 2x8GB
nvme m.2 SSD 250GB (Windows)
Hitachi 2.5" HDD 500 GB 5400 rpm (macOS: HFS)

EDIT:
I followed https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/quick-guide-to-generate-a-ssdt-for-cpu-power-management.177456/ to generate a SSDT. I used this one to download ssdtPRGen.sh

Code:
curl -o ~/ssdtPRGen.sh https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Piker-Alpha/ssdtPRGen.sh/Beta/ssdtPRGen.sh
since I have an i7-7700k.
In the 4th step I used this code for custom TURBO Frequency.

Code:
sudo ~/ssdtPRGen.sh -turbo 4200
This is the output

Code:
[B]ssdtPRGen.sh[/B] v0.9  Copyright (c) 2011-2012 by † RevoGirl

v6.6  Copyright (c) 2013 by † Jeroen

v21.5 Copyright (c) 2013-2017 by Pike R. Alpha

-----------------------------------------------------------

[B]Bugs[/B] > https://github.com/Piker-Alpha/ssdtPRGen.sh/issues <

[B]System information[/B]: Mac OS X 10.13 (17A405)

[B]Brandstring[/B]: "Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700K CPU @ 4.20GHz"

[B]Override value[/B]: (-turbo) maximum (turbo) frequency, now using: 4200 MHz!

[B]Version[/B]: models.cfg v171 / Kaby Lake.cfg v196

Scope (_PR_) {222 bytes} with ACPI Processor declarations found in DSDT (ACPI 1.0 compliant)

Generating ssdt.dsl for a 'iMac17,1' with board-id [Mac-B809C3757DA9BB8D]

Kaby Lake Core i7-7700K processor [0x906E9] setup [0x0705]

With a maximum TDP of 95 Watt, as specified by Intel

Number logical CPU's: 8 (Core Frequency: 4200 MHz)

Number of Turbo States: 0

Number of P-States: 35 (800-4200 MHz)

Injected C-States for CPU0 (C1,C3,C6,C7,C8,C9,C10)

Injected C-States for CPU1 (C1,C2,C3,C6,C7)

[B]Warning[/B]: 'cpu-type' may be set improperly (0x0705 instead of 0x0905)

- Clover users should read https://clover-wiki.zetam.org/Configuration/CPU#cpu_type

[B]Error[/B]: board-id [Mac-B809C3757DA9BB8D] not supported by Kaby Lake – check SMBIOS data / use the -target option

Do you want to continue (y/n)?
Then I followed the guide (5th step: I had to type only one "n" in the terminal). After the reboot I still get 4400 MHz as Maximum Turbo Frequency from AppleIntelInfo.kext

Pic and EFI folder attached.

Attachments

Last edited:
Motherboard
MSI Z270 Tomahawk Arctic
CPU
i7-7700K
Graphics
GTX 1070 Ti, HD 630
Mobile Phone
iOS
It is not possible to reduce turbo frequencies except by editing the FrequencyVectors in the X86PlatformPlugin plist.
Your edits to ssdtPRgen.sh SSDT.aml failed because most of that data is ignored.
@RehabMan (don't bother looking at the first post) I followed your suggestion using PikerAlpha's freqVectorsEdit.sh (importing non-HWP Board-ID's frequency vectors) but with no success, I still hit 4.4 GHz with Intel Power Gadget. At this point I'm not sure if my system is "looking" at X86PlatformPlugin.kext for PM (I do NOT have NULLCPUpm.kext). May I ask you to take a quick look at my config.plist to see if there's something wrong with it? May I tweak some of the following UEFI settings instead (Intel HWP/ISS is not present in my UEFI)?

Attachments