CPU
i7 3770
Graphics
GTX 980
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Running a GTX 980 on High Sierra and now getting this message at startup—"Unable to open NVIDIA Driver Manager." This has persisted through a reinstall, an update to 10.13.3 and the installation of those updated drivers. I haven't installed anything new recently, so I'm unsure as to what caused this, but I can't seem to get rid of it. System is recognizing the card just fine.

Any ideas? Thanks a lot, all.

GA-Z77-DS3H // i7 3770 // GTX 980 // 10.13.3

How did you install the drivers? Was this done prior to updating, or after?
I’ve always had them installed. I get the new web drivers from NVIDIA whenever an update comes around. I started getting the message this week in 10.13.2 for seemingly no reason. I thought maybe updating to .3 and installing the new driver would fix it but no luck.

I don't think you're susceptible to the slow-downs affecting newer CPUs/motherboards with the latest (387.10.10.10.25.156) 10.3.3 drivers. As such I'd recommend downloading those drivers from https://images.nvidia.com/mac/pkg/387/WebDriver-387.10.10.10.25.156.pkg.

Then uninstall your existing drivers by pasting the following in a terminal:

sudo installer -pkg "/Library/PreferencePanes/NVIDIA Driver Manager.prefPane/Contents/MacOS/NVIDIA Web Driver Uninstaller.app/Contents/Resources/NVUninstall.pkg" -target /

Then proceed to install WebDriver-387.10.10.10.25.156.pkg (just double click and follow the instructions).

I don't think you're susceptible to the slow-downs affecting newer CPUs/motherboards with the latest (387.10.10.10.25.156) 10.3.3 drivers. As such I'd recommend downloading those drivers from https://images.nvidia.com/mac/pkg/387/WebDriver-387.10.10.10.25.156.pkg.

Then uninstall your existing drivers by pasting the following in a terminal:

sudo installer -pkg "/Library/PreferencePanes/NVIDIA Driver Manager.prefPane/Contents/MacOS/NVIDIA Web Driver Uninstaller.app/Contents/Resources/NVUninstall.pkg" -target /

Then proceed to install WebDriver-387.10.10.10.25.156.pkg (just double click and follow the instructions).

That was a good idea but didn't seem to work. Also, I had to find the uninstaller using Finder's "show package contents"—putting that command into the Terminal returned "
sudo: /usr/bin/sudo must be owned by uid 0 and have the setuid bit set"

Do I have a permissions issue?

That was a good idea but didn't seem to work. Also, I had to find the uninstaller using Finder's "show package contents"—putting that command into the Terminal returned "
sudo: /usr/bin/sudo must be owned by uid 0 and have the setuid bit set"

Do I have a permissions issue?
It sounds like you're not an admin/sudoer. Can you change anything in System Preferences?

It sounds like you may have wiped your whole drive of file permissions :|

Boot up in single user mode by adding "-s" as boot argument in Clover (just do it from Clover after restarting, don't do it permanently from Clover Configurator) and boot up macOS. You'll be taken to command line, enter the following:

chown root:wheel /usr/bin/sudo
chmod 4755 /usr/bin/sudo

Then reboot your computer. Once rebooted open "Disk Utility" and run First Aid on your macOS drive.

Boot up in single user mode by adding "-s" as boot argument in Clover (just do it from Clover after restarting, don't do it permanently from Clover Configurator) and boot up macOS. You'll be taken to command line, enter the following:

chmod 4755 /usr/bin/sudo

Then reboot your computer. Once rebooted open "Disk Utility" and run First Aid on your macOS drive.

Thanks for all your help, I really appreciate it. I'll give this a shot tonight and report back.

chmod 4755 /usr/bin/sudo

After the first command, it tells me that I'm in a read-only file system and won't let me execute the second command.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back