Contribute
Register

Unable to get RX Vega working with High Sierra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, cool. I'm pretty confident this is driver related too. Which is good, as it WILL be rectified. Vega will be supported further.

Just out of interest, do you have issues with your machine not actually shutting down?

After I click shutdown, my machine appears to turn off, but if I click my mouse or press a key on the keyboard, the machine boots up again.

BIOS wake is not enabled.

I actually feel I've gotten quite lucky for my first full hackintosh build - so far, I haven't found much that isn't working.

What Works
Sleep, Shutdown, Restart
Display sleep
Ethernet
NVME SSD, clean install
What Doesn't
Chess - so yeah GPU drivers don't provide full support just yet
Integrated Audio - actually not sure, not tested, but audio on Display Port works just fine and fits my use case. I do believe I saw a kext that would support the integrated chipset though.

Did anyone get all the display ports working? In my case, only one DP is working.

I actually feel I've gotten quite lucky for my first full hackintosh build - so far, I haven't found much that isn't working.

What Works
Sleep, Shutdown, Restart
Display sleep
Ethernet
NVME SSD, clean install
What Doesn't
Integrated Audio - actually not sure, not tested, but audio on Display Port works just fine and fits my use case. I do believe I saw a kext that would support the integrated chipset though.
Cool! What's the bits used in your build?

@pete1959 Can you please help me? I can't get the transmitter id etc from redsock or radeon scripts for Vega.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-09-26 at 5.49.54 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-09-26 at 5.49.54 PM.png
    66.4 KB · Views: 205
  • c0000.bin.zip
    128 KB · Views: 101
WHAT!! The scripts work with your BIOS!! How did you extract that bios. Please please please tell me.

I'm actually running the Vega FE AIO (water) bios. I tried an RX bios but black screen. So the inference is that the ports are different, hence your only 1 DP.
You could do some experimenting with whatevergreen and lilu kexts, whatevergreen gets you port mapping.
Here's my FE bios for you to play with :)
WHAT!! The scripts work with your BIOS!! How did you extract that bios. Please please please tell me.

What Works
Sleep, Shutdown, Restart
Display sleep
Ethernet
NVME SSD, clean install
What Doesn't

@bub505
hi. i've seen you wrote that sleep is working.
have you got ogpu enabled (for quick sync) or just the vega enabled?
i have both, display connected to my vega trough display port but i have black screen on wake

ps.other question: have you realized a slow boot with nvme and high sierra? mine boot time is slower than sierra

Last edited:
Haha. Any official unmodified bios works fine. I used atiflash (in windows). You need to switch the bios (the vega has 2 bios) to the back position - the front switch is a locked bios.
The link below has various bios' scattered through it.
http://www.overclock.net/t/1634018/official-vega-frontier-rx-vega-owners-thread

None of that is very useful in the Mac yet because I can't modify the bios to overclock and there isn't any software overclocking available.

I tried flashing a couple of BIOS including yours. No luck. I guess unless some fixes the bios decoder scripts, I cannot find the port mappings for my card. I feel stupid that I wasted $700 on this card. I should have got frontier in the first place.

Did anyone get all the display ports working? In my case, only one DP is working.
I only have one DP display, so can't really say for the other DP ports, but I did just try with a secondary HDMI display, and everything seems to be working just fine - the desktop extended automatically.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back