Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus Prime X299-Deluxe
CPU
i9-7900X
Graphics
Radeon VII
I have an Asus Maximus V Extreme and have been unable to get the digital audio inputs and outputs to work. Optical audio output won't give me any audio and HDMI won't show up most of the time, and when it does I get no picture or sound. My configuration is as follows:

Asus Maximus V Extreme
i7 3770K
GTX Titan in PCIE slot #2 (That's the x16 slot. Slot #1 is only x8 because other slots are populated)
2 Dell 2560x1080 monitors connected to HD4000 DisplayPort and Titan DisplayPort

DSDT patched with PJALM's Asus Maximus V Extreme, Intel HD4000, and Generic Discrete Graphics (AMD/Nvidia) patches (in that order)
Installed ALC898 audio (with DSDT version) from MultiBeast 5.4.1
System Definition iMac 12,2

The red light turns on on the optical out port when I select Digital Out in System Preferences. I've confirmed the optical audio cable and receiver are working properly using other sources.

HDMI output won't show up on either of HDMI outputs (built-in or on Titan) or via a Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter when they're used. I do get an image on different HDMI monitors and TV's though. I was once able to get HDMI to show as an audio output device via the Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter, but could not get any audio or image to show when it was selected, even though it appeared in both the Display and Sound preference panes when HDMI showed up as an audio output device option. I've confirmed the cable and inputs are working on the receiver and TV. I've also confirmed the Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter is working properly on a MacBook Pro.

I also don't have a Digital Audio Input in the Sound preferences pane of the Audio MIDI Setup app for the optical input that is on the back panel.

What is working is all the 1/8" analog inputs and outputs on the back panel and front of the case: the front stereo (green), the c/sub (orange), and rear (black) outputs, and the line inputs and microphone inputs.

Here's my IO Registry (both IORegistry Explorer and IOJones and DSDT Tabelset and aml file (it wouldn't let me upload as .aml because of file size restriction so rename the extension to aml).

Could someone please help me get these working properly?

Attachments

• IO Registry 9-1-13.iojones
    1.2 MB · Views: 41
  • IO Registry 9-1-13.ioreg
    3.3 MB · Views: 43
  • DSDT Tableset 9-1-13.acpi
    54.2 KB · Views: 42
  • DSDT 9-1-13 rename with aml extension.acpi
    45.3 KB · Views: 43
I've been working on this all night. I've gotten some partial success. I found this thread http://www.tonymacx86.com/hdmi-audio/104406-need-newbe-guide-hdmi-audio.html that linked to this other thread http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1499797 that had a kext someone made that enabled HDMI audio on my GTX Titan. Works perfectly. All 8 channels showing and I'm getting surround sound and everything.

So there's something that this kext is doing that the DSDT patches PJALM and Toleda have made aren't. I've tried all the patches each of them have made in varying ways with no luck on either IGPU or discrete (Nvidia) graphics. Maybe there's a way to incorporate whatever this kext is doing into the patches.

I still haven't gotten optical audio output to work. Something is up though, because I went into Windows and tested it and it's not working there either. Both digital audio outs are showing (the optical on the back panel and the spidf header on the board), but I get no audio from it. The light is on in the port and I checked it for dust dirt and it's clean. BIOS digital audio output is set to SPDIF (other option is HDMI). Anyone else have this kind of issue?

I have an Asus Maximus V Extreme and have been unable to get the digital audio inputs and outputs to work. Optical audio output won't give me any audio and HDMI won't show up most of the time, and when it does I get no picture or sound. My configuration is as follows:

Asus Maximus V Extreme
i7 3770K
GTX Titan in PCIE slot #2 (That's the x16 slot. Slot #1 is only x8 because other slots are populated)
2 Dell 2560x1080 monitors connected to HD4000 DisplayPort and Titan DisplayPort
Digital Audio Input/SPDIFIn is not supported.
Digital Audio Output/SPDIFOut - if it does not work in other OSs, it won't work in OS X, suggest RMA. For OS X encoded digital audio, see Note 5, Mountain Lion: Optimized AppleHDA for Realtek ALC8xx

HD4000/DP audio - IOReg says everything is ready, OS X does not see the monitor as supporting DP audio. A DP2HDMI adapter to the same display will have the same result.

Titan/DP audio - redrocket is plugged into the slot with the HDMI audio edits. Titan is sitting in a slot with a PCIe multiplexer which disables OS X HDMI audio even if the proper dsdt edits were present.

Thanks for responding Toleda.

Digital Audio Input/SPDIFIn is not supported.
Digital Audio Output/SPDIFOut - if it does not work in other OSs, it won't work in OS X, suggest RMA. For OS X encoded digital audio, see Note 5, Mountain Lion: Optimized AppleHDA for Realtek ALC8xx

That's what I was afraid of as soon as I found it to not be working in Windows either. I'll have to call Asus tomorrow.

HD4000/DP audio - IOReg says everything is ready, OS X does not see the monitor as supporting DP audio. A DP2HDMI adapter to the same display will have the same result.

I'm trying to get sound from the HDMI not the DP. I have a monitor connected to the HD4000 DP and another to the Titan DP. I'm attaching a third display to the HDMI and trying to get sound on that. It works on the Titan with the kext I mentioned in the 2nd post.

Titan/DP audio - redrocket is plugged into the slot with the HDMI audio edits. Titan is sitting in a slot with a PCIe multiplexer which disables OS X HDMI audio even if the proper dsdt edits were present.

Yes, I have the Red Rocket in slot #1 and Titan in slot #2. I'm doing this because the Titan is an x16 card and the only slot that will always run at x16 is slot #2. Slot #1 drops to x8 when other slots are occupied, so I put the Red Rocket there since it's an x8 card. Is there a way to have a modified patch file that addresses this? What do I need to modify in the patch?

Also, what do you mean that the Titan is sitting in a slot with a PCIE multiplexer? It's actually slot 2A and there's a 2B that is disabled when 2A is in use. Is that what that is? You say it disables HDMI audio, but I'm getting HDMI audio from the Titan using the kext I mentioned in the 2nd post.

I'm attaching I/O Registries with HDMI audio working on the Titan using that kext. I hope it helps figure out how that got to working. I should note that the DP monitor connected to the Titan is showing up as an audio output device in the Sound preference pane now too, but there's no speakers on it.

Attachments

• IOReg with HDMI on Titan 9-2-13.iojones
    1.3 MB · Views: 39
  • IOReg with HDMI on Titan 9-2-13.ioreg
    3.6 MB · Views: 53
I'm trying to get sound from the HDMI not the DP.

Yes, I have the Red Rocket in slot #1 and Titan in slot #2. I'm doing this because the Titan is an x16 card and the only slot that will always run at x16 is slot #2. Slot #1 drops to x8 when other slots are occupied, so I put the Red Rocket there since it's an x8 card. Is there a way to have a modified patch file that addresses this? What do I need to modify in the patch?

Also, what do you mean that the Titan is sitting in a slot with a PCIE multiplexer? It's actually slot 2A and there's a 2B that is disabled when 2A is in use. Is that what that is? You say it disables HDMI audio, but I'm getting HDMI audio from the Titan using the kext I mentioned in the 2nd post.
Regarding HD4000/HDMI, the iojones is useless with DP connected and nothing on HDMI.

The Titan is siting on a PLX Technology multiplexer. (pci-bridge@8, @10, @11, etc.).

I don't know anything about the kext you mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back