Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> Unable to fix instability by myself - please help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi @Adrian B Thank you for your interest and feedback, which I highly appreciate and value.
Personally I do not believe that thoroughly lab testing the phased out 730 watt Raidmax Hybrid PSU will reveal any issues whatsoever, but it needs to be done before finally discarding that particular PSU altogether, considering that I am not as yet a member of the present "throwaway generation". I am living in a highly corrosive area on this planet, and believe that contact corrosion, within one or more of the connector plugs, may have been the culprit. My tests will concentrate particularly on transient response times as well as voltage stability, "ringing", when the PSU is transitioning from idle to the normal operating current delivery state. In the end the instability could theoretically also be linked to the bios ErP setting, which incidentally is disabled on all my machines, however presently I am only interested in transient voltage/current response times, conducted with resistive dummy loads as well as a multi channel digital oscilloscope. Will provide feedback when anything conclusive is revealed during my continued investigation, whenever that take place :)

Greetings

I am assuming that you are in an area with a high degree of corrosive minerals? Anyway any corrosion is likely to change resistance values which as you know can cause havoc in electrical circuits. Hope you find the problem(s) when you get around to all the testing project.

I am assuming that you are in an area with a high degree of corrosive minerals?
No not at all. I am living in Henties Bay, on the West Coast of Namibia, with winds blowing strongly from a south westerly direction, from the sea that is, for 90 percent of the time. That air, which comes from across the ocean, is salt laden, causing everything metal in it's path to corrode. Cars from certain manufacturers, mainly from the far east, corrode at a pace that when the vehicle is 5 years old the door panels have gaping holes through which you can stick your hand in, unless one embarked on very expensive anti corrosive measures just after purchase. Incidentally Namibia, before independence used to be called "South West Africa", a name that symbolized the nature of it's geographical location as well as the wind elements it was constantly subjected to. Just some background information to help understand the PSU problem.

Greetings

Henties,
What a terrific thread. Really appreciated it. Henties Bay appears to be fantastic as well.
Hi @ghorwith thank you for your kind comments. Yes Henties Bay is indeed a super place, it is a very popular holiday resort where me and my family are privileged to live. Namibia is just as fantastic if you care to have a closer look at the attached pics taken of animals in my "backyard so to speak" :)

Enjoy or destroy.

Greetings and keep well.

Attachments

• _DSC0951.jpg
    _DSC0951.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 34
  • DSC_2162.jpg
    DSC_2162.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 31
  • Elephant-1.jpg
    Elephant-1.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 25