Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus z370e
CPU
i7 8700K
Graphics
Rx 570
I installed Catalina successfully on my system. Then afterwards i reboot the PC and then pressed F2 to access my BIOS. I get stuck on this screen with a blinking cursor. Check the video here:
- Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 3

- Intel i7 (Haswell)

- OpenCore version 0.6.9

I tried resetting my CMOS but that didn't work. Any ideas?

This often happens to Haswell Z87/97 systems when BootProtect is enabled.

An important detail of this issue is NOT to boot and especially install Windows or Linux outside of OpenCore. I.e. via BIOS preferences. These operating systems are known to create Boot0000 on their own will, which can brick your BIOS unless something prevents it. To be clear, the problem is not related to OpenCore, but OpenCore can protect your firmware from these operating systems. It is recommended to make sure that Fast Boot is disabled in the firmware preferences as its code is responsible for creating corrupted boot option list. While modern OpenCore should work with and without Fast Boot, the exact consequences of having it enabled are still not fully understood.

Vit9696

I had thought this was addressed in OC 0.6.9. so it was not possible anymore. BootProtect should be set to None.

Last edited:
This often happens to Haswell Z87/97 systems when BootProtect is enabled.

An important detail of this issue is NOT to boot and especially install Windows or Linux outside of OpenCore. I.e. via BIOS preferences. These operating systems are known to create Boot0000 on their own will, which can brick your BIOS unless something prevents it. To be clear, the problem is not related to OpenCore, but OpenCore can protect your firmware from these operating systems. It is recommended to make sure that Fast Boot is disabled in the firmware preferences as its code is responsible for creating corrupted boot option list. While modern OpenCore should work with and without Fast Boot, the exact consequences of having it enabled are still not fully understood.

Vit9696

I had thought this was addressed in OC 0.6.9. so it was not possible anymore. BootProtect should be set to None.
Thanks for your reply.

Guess am locked out my BIOS, It's stuck on the blinking cursor. I'd pretty much appreciate any help on how i can restore my BIOS

Thanks for your reply.

Guess am locked out my BIOS, It's stuck on the blinking cursor. I'd pretty much appreciate any help on how i can restore my BIOS
maybe the jumper near the cmos battery to reset bios

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back