Contribute
Register

Unable to boot macOS on a 2014 Mac Mini

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm at a loss on this one. I've got a standard 2014 2.8ghz i5/HD5100 Mac Mini that just won't boot macOS. No matter what, I'm getting kextd stall IGPU.

Things I've tried:
-Reset SMC, NVRAM
-Safe mode
-Apple diagnostics (passed with flying colours)
-Following Apple's instructions in creating a live installation USB (High Sierra/Mojave)
-Installing macOS directly onto the Mac Mini's SSD from recovery mode on an iMac
-Taking a working High Sierra HDD out of a 2012 MacBook Pro - boots fine on 2012 iMac, not on the Mac mini
-Recovery mode
-Internet recovery mode
-Original OS internet recovery (Shift+Control+Option+R - progress bar still stuck halfway, but it does speak "to use English as the main language, press the return key. nothing happens when I press it)
-Booting from Clover (GraphicsEnabler, InjectIntel boot args)
-removing AppleIntelHD5000.kext

Oddities:
-Single user mode boots fine
-I know it's not a physical IGPU issue as Windows 10 and Ubuntu work perfectly from live and regular installs
-It's a goddamn real apple product so it should just work!!

I'm trying to get it running to replace my 2012 fat MacBook as a home server, and macOS is my clear preference, but I'm just about ready to give up and install linux. I know that this is an issue some people get with Hackintoshes, so does anybody have any clues that could help me Hackintosh my Macintosh?

Thanks!!

Have you tried posting for help and reading in the Apple.com forums ? This general hardware discussion is for PC hardware that has macOS installed only, not for Macs.

It should just work.

That's the reason this community exists. People are tired of over-priced, under performing Macs. Creating your own hackintosh often gives you a more stable and reliable computer that runs macOS flawlessly. Give it a try.

Last edited:
Yes, I've looked. The only other people getting kextdstall IGPU are people trying to Hackintosh. Thanks anyway though

Yes, I've looked. The only other people getting kextdstall IGPU are people trying to Hackintosh. Thanks anyway though
Take it to your nearest Genius Bar and have them help figure it out. If that's not possible call the Apple support number and try to talk with a real Apple trained certified tech, not someone who just answers the phone and helps reset your password. There has to be some solution to the problem. You just need to find it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back