i5-4670K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
7870XT full graphics and sleep problems

I just upgraded to a 7870XT on my Core i5 750 system (specs <- ) and was able to boot into 10.8 using the sleep trick.

Then I installed Mavericks using UniBeast. I had to boot into the installer using GraphicsEnabler=No and -x

However, now I when I try to boot into Mavericks I get a black screen, then when trying the sleep trick it reboots and the CMOS clears.

I can boot in with GraphicsEnabler=No and -x, however then I have no graphics acceleration.

- Chimera 2.2.1 (r2248)
- GA-P55-UD4P DSDT that was working with 10.6 - 10.8
- Boot.plist:
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Y</string>
<key>UseKernelCache</key>
<string>Y</string>
<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>Y</string>

- Extensions:
* AHCI_3rdParty_SATA.kext
* ALC8xxHDA.kext
* AppleHDA.kext
* FakeSMC.kext
* RealtekRTL81xx.kext

- MacPro4,1 smbios

Any ideas ?????

Well I fixed the CMOS clear by patching AppleRTC.kext

However I am still getting reboots when doing the sleep fix to try get into Mavericks.

I can boot in with just GraphicsEnabler=No and then don't need to do the sleep fix, but then I don't have native graphics!

Edit: It now reboots on wake. Bah! please help!

are you using the latest version of Multibeast? I was lucky enough to no longer have to use the sleep trick or the fbrotate in order for my card to work. Try GraphicsEnabler=No and add IGPEnabler=Yes. Even though IGPEnabler has to do with IGFX (i believe) I've found that for some reason it's the only way my computer will work.

I'm using the latest Chimera from the latest Multibeast and my previous kexts, DSDT, smbios etc that worked perfect in ML with my 7870XT.

Thanks baller, but I have a Core i5 750 and no cpu graphics, so IGPEnabler=Yes doesn't work.

I got reboot on sleep fixed; I forgot to disable restart on power failure. I feel stupid.
However on wake the dock looses its shelf and the OS freezes!!

Also using only GraphicsEnabler=No works ok, however the card is listed as "7xxx" and ioreg -w 0 | grep ATY lists "RadeonFramebuffer", so I have no framebuffer. I have tried Chutoro, Hamachi and Futomaki, but they are not being used.

Anyone have any ideas?

Hmm seems like just GE=Y is now working. All I had to do was patch AppleRTC.kext and enable restart on power loss in Energy Saver.
I havent hacked since Mountain Lion! A little rusty!

So now I just have to do the sleep trick on login, which is annoying!

Does anyone know how to get around the sleep trick?
I've read about clover, however I think I have to have a UEFI board for that?

Rich,
I'd like to ask you if you had any issues installing Mavericks?
I'm currently on 10.8.4. When I tried going to 10.8.5 I couldn't make it boot. I spent hours on it, and finally gave up.
Could you post your steps for me? I'd like to upgrade to Mavericks, but I'm hesitant with all the issues I have had.
It looks like we have the same MB and maybe the same processor.
Thanks

Hi Squatch!
Sorry for the late reply.

Installing Mavericks is pretty much the same as installing Mountain Lion.

I used UniBeast to create the USB installer (with ML I did it manually) and then put your current 10.8 /Extra and the latest Chimera in there.
I had to boot into the installer using GraphicsEnabler=No and -x

Then use the latest Multibeast and install latest Chimera to your drive and you can use your same kexts.

The things I forgot which initially caused some problems for me, were the AppleRTC.kext fix and enabling "Startup automatically after power failure" in Energy preferences. These fixed my sleep and CMOS clear issues and allowed me to use the 7xxx graphics sleep fix.

Thanks Rich!
I just have a couple more questions if you don't mind.
Will I be copying Extra over into new Extra before running Multi beast?
I've always had to use VoodooHda kext for my audio.
would you post or email screen shots of Extra and S/L/E?
perhaps I have something in mine that's causing an issue.
you're audio kexts I've tried in the past to no luck.
not ever been able to get 5.1 to work for me(not a huge deal).
When I upgraded to ML I used Xmove, so USB method is new to me.
I want to try upgrading with a backup drive before the real thing.
Most of the time I've never had an issue upgrading until I tried 10.8.5.
My system can't be down like it was before.
I very appreciative for your advice/help.

To be honest, I don't install Multibeast, I just take a few new things out of it and install manually with my others things.
It might be best to create a new topic :)

However, what I did was copy my Extra from my ML install into and the latest Chimera into the Mavericks USB installer made with Unibeast.
Then when you boot into Mavericks after the install just copy the Extra and Chimera over and place your kexts in (you can use Multibeast for this).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back