Contribute
Register

Unable to boot from USB (already googled but nothing helps)

Status
Not open for further replies.
CPU
Intel Core i5 4570
Graphics
nVidia GeForce GTX 760
Mac
  1. iMac
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hello everyone,

I'm trying to get my pc to dual boot Win 8.1 (now running, pre installed) with OS X Yosemite. I prepared a bootable USB using Clover, exactly as described in the guide here on tonymacx86.com. Everything was going perfectly untill I wanted to boot from my USB. No matter what setting in my BIOS I change, my PC will always boot into Windows.
I have googled this issue and it seems a lot of people who use Windows 8(.1) are having the same problem. However, some people are able to solve it by turning off secure boot or setting the boot mode from UEFI to Legacy. I tried every single option I found online, though in my BIOS I can't find any option to change UEFI to Legacy.
Even if I use the 'use a device' option built in Windows: http://blog.laptopmag.com/wpress/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/windows-8-boot-menu.jpg to reboot from the USB, it won't pick the USB to boot from but instead boots back into windows. I wasn't sure if I maybe did something wrong with the USB itself (although I followed the guide), so I tried another bootable USB with Lubuntu on it which I still had laying around to fix an old netbook. The netbook boots from that usb without any trouble, but my PC just refuses to.

I am completely lost, I have no idea what else to try. I hope someone here can help me out!

Nevermind, I found the problem! I had to change the option to boot win8 to boot win7/other OS.

Duh.

I feel so dumb now. But I tought I'd share it so people with the same problem can read this :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back