Contribute
Register

ultrazone's Slave Audio Build: Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD5-B3 - Core i7-2600k - 16GB RAM - Gigabyte GT 640

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Ultra Gaming 2.0
CPU
i7 8700K
Graphics
2x RX580
Mac
MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
Hi Ultazone! Did you check usb3? The back ones and those two that come with the front panel bracket?
Thanks for sharing!
Hi !

I didn't install the front panel bracket, but I'll check the back ones and I'll post the results. In fact I didn't check the transfer speeds since I only own a USB3 hard drive by Toshiba, thus it is not a very important item in this build.

By the way, I suppose that I only have to install the corresponding USB3 driver, reboot and connect the hard drive to the correct port. I'll get you informed...

Cheers !

Motherboard
CPU
i7 8700K
Graphics
2x RX580
Mac
MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
No luck... My Toshiba USB3 hard drive is not mounted when plugged into the back ports. When connected to USB2 ports it works flawlessly, although at USB2 speeds.

The front panel connector showed the same behavior, so I can say that USB3 ports don't work in this build (at least with my only USB3 device).

This is not a problem for me, given that USB2 devices work flawlessly no matter which port I use. However, it would be good to know if there's a way to enable these ports at their full potential.

Happy holidays !!!

Motherboard
Probook 4440:4540
CPU
i3-3110M
Graphics
HD4000
Mac
iMac, MacBook Pro, Mac mini
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
I do not think there is any way to enable USB3 on this particular board (I have the same one). If you feel brave, make sure you backup system or will be able to revert changes you made (remove PXHCD.kext). My prior experience with attempting to enable USB3.0 - I lost all USB ports. Kind of makes it very difficult to fix system without KB and mouse. If you really want USB3.0 out of the box on ML 10.8.2 - get "ORICO PFU3-2P Desktop 2 Ports USB3.0 PCI-Express Card (Fresco Logic Chipset) with Half-height Baffle" @ http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1DS0DV6266

The weird thing about this board - it works OOB on OSX 10.8.2, but Windows could not find drivers online for it, so for the first time I had to use provided mini CD to enable this card on Windows 7 partition. OSX will power off all usb ports on this board during sleep (it will register this info in console log during boot/init), so what ever is plugged in its ports will be powered off - meaning no wake up capability, otherwise it works flawlessly and natively.

Motherboard
ASRock Fatal1ty Z370 Gaming-ITX/ac
CPU
i7-8700
Graphics
UHD 630
Mac
MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
No luck... My Toshiba USB3 hard drive is not mounted when plugged into the back ports. When connected to USB2 ports it works flawlessly, although at USB2 speeds.

The front panel connector showed the same behavior, so I can say that USB3 ports don't work in this build (at least with my only USB3 device).

This is not a problem for me, given that USB2 devices work flawlessly no matter which port I use. However, it would be good to know if there's a way to enable these ports at their full potential.

Happy holidays !!!
It's not about your drive, I guess. Same to me, man. Quite disappointing.
Thanks for sharing!

Motherboard
CPU
i7 8700K
Graphics
2x RX580
Mac
MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
I do not think there is any way to enable USB3 on this particular board (I have the same one). If you feel brave, make sure you backup system or will be able to revert changes you made (remove PXHCD.kext). My prior experience with attempting to enable USB3.0 - I lost all USB ports. Kind of makes it very difficult to fix system without KB and mouse. If you really want USB3.0 out of the box on ML 10.8.2 - get "ORICO PFU3-2P Desktop 2 Ports USB3.0 PCI-Express Card (Fresco Logic Chipset) with Half-height Baffle" @ http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1DS0DV6266

The weird thing about this board - it works OOB on OSX 10.8.2, but Windows could not find drivers online for it, so for the first time I had to use provided mini CD to enable this card on Windows 7 partition. OSX will power off all usb ports on this board during sleep (it will register this info in console log during boot/init), so what ever is plugged in its ports will be powered off - meaning no wake up capability, otherwise it works flawlessly and natively.
Thanks for the tip ! Pretty informative. I'll leave it as it is now (USB2 connectivity in all ports).

It is good to know about the card you suggest. This way we all can sort a USB3 incompatibility in our boards in case USB3 becomes a necessity for anyone.

Thanks again !

Motherboard
MSI Z170A SLI Plus
CPU
i7 6700k
Graphics
gtx 980
Mac
MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
Android
Great build ultra! I've been following this thread for a few days and I'm about to start ordering my new parts to build my first HackPro. I'll be using these parts and more importantly, this very guide to complete this task. I was skeptical at first about the sleep and USB3 issues that some people have with this board, but after reviewing this thread, I feel a lot better about the choices.

I have one question though, as I'll be placing in a GTX 670 instead of the 640. The only boot argument I should need is still GraphicsEnabler=No correct? As I've read a few places that the 6xx series is now natively supported in 10.8.x

Any help would be appreciated as I'm rather excited to get this project underway :thumbup:

Motherboard
CPU
i7 8700K
Graphics
2x RX580
Mac
MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
Great build ultra! I've been following this thread for a few days and I'm about to start ordering my new parts to build my first HackPro. I'll be using these parts and more importantly, this very guide to complete this task. I was skeptical at first about the sleep and USB3 issues that some people have with this board, but after reviewing this thread, I feel a lot better about the choices.

I have one question though, as I'll be placing in a GTX 670 instead of the 640. The only boot argument I should need is still GraphicsEnabler=No correct? As I've read a few places that the 6xx series is now natively supported in 10.8.x

Any help would be appreciated as I'm rather excited to get this project underway :thumbup:
Thanks !

Regarding USB3, it doesn't work for me, but I don't need it now. We can always buy a PCIe adapter for things like that.

Sleep should work with correct DSDT for your board and installation method.

Regarding the GTX 670, the installer should work with GraphicsEnabler=No, just like the rest of the 6xx family. Then in MultiBeast, I would apply "GraphicsEnabler=No" as an option in the installation choices. But I am not sure if this card requires additional steps for enabling OpenCL and all that stuff, since mine doesn't need anything but "GraphicsEnabler=No" at boot.

Hope it helps ! Happy New Year !

Motherboard
MSI Z170A SLI Plus
CPU
i7 6700k
Graphics
gtx 980
Mac
MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
Android
Thanks !

Regarding USB3, it doesn't work for me, but I don't need it now. We can always buy a PCIe adapter for things like that.

Sleep should work with correct DSDT for your board and installation method.

Regarding the GTX 670, the installer should work with GraphicsEnabler=No, just like the rest of the 6xx family. Then in MultiBeast, I would apply "GraphicsEnabler=No" as an option in the installation choices. But I am not sure if this card requires additional steps for enabling OpenCL and all that stuff, since mine doesn't need anything but "GraphicsEnabler=No" at boot.

Hope it helps ! Happy New Year !
I re-read your thread responses and saw that USB3 wasn't functioning with your USB3 compliant device, but that card that was posted should work OOB on 10.8.x, so that's a plus. :clap: As for the 670, I did a little more research and found a few threads explaining how to enable OpenCL and have access to the CUDA cores (As I'll be using it for photo editing), so all should be well.

Thank you for your quick response and congratulations on your build! :) and happy new years to you aswell!

Motherboard
GA-Z77M-D3H
CPU
Intel Core i5 2400S
Graphics
Nividia 8800GTS 640MB
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
Have you tried to install Yosemite?