Contribute
Register

ultrazone's Master Audio Build: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H - Core i7-3770k - 32GB RAM - Gigabyte GTX 650

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,
I will start assembling a Hackintosh, be the first, and I have almost decided the components:

Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H although some people think that with enough DS3H.

Intel i7-3770K but as with the motherboard, some people think that audio is sufficient for Intel i5 3570K.

16GB DDR3 RAM / 1600Mhz CORSAIR Vengeance

Sandisk SDSSDX-120G-G25

Seagate Barracuda Internal Hard Drive 1 TB

Noctua NH-D14

And as for mounting box, I'm between R4 defined fractal models of Antec or because they are very performance boxes with ventilation and soundproofing.

I do not need a powerful graphics card so I thought the HD4000.

The power supply I have not decided, but seasonic are recommended, although I'm looking for recommendations.

This is the setup of the most important components that I have thought, although I have to make the decision of i5 or i7, and choose one of the models of the motherboard, although in that case, it's likely that I opt for the GA-Z77X-UD5H.

As your setup is very similar to what I have thought, and the team is for my recording studio with Logic and Pro Tools, I send this message, if I can recommend some settings, and because in the post, it seems, has had to make many adjustments in the bios, or so it seems, as the guide for the Gigabyte Z77 boards, commented that there was that many modifications.
They also let you know that in my case I have no intention to overclock (if not necessary) but it's likely that you install some PCI Firewire card with TI chip, and USB PCI card if needed for external devices.

I appreciate you put that post, and any clarification or advice, I appreciate it because it is my first hack, and although it seems that the recommendation for a CustoMacPro, is quite simple that everything runs smoothly as the rest and others with UEFI BIOS natively Gigabyte work, all the opinions of those you have done such a good job, are appreciated.

Greetings.

Hi Pandar,
Thank you very much for your idea, this help me because Is my first Hackintosh, and I need to know the best build for me. I need the Hackintosh for music productions as another users like you, I work with Logic Pro and Pro Tools.
The GA-Z77X-UP5 TH, as you say, is fully functional and the sleep and wake without problems.
As you tell me, if I decide to buy this board, I can use FW audio interfaces, with an thunderbolt adapter and I dont need a dedicate PCI FW to work with this devices, is helpful to know this aspect.

I suppose I can use the USB generic in the board to work with audio interfaces without problems, the newer audio interfaces use USB 3.0, there is any problem to use the 3.0 USB from the board, or I need another PCI USB?

Is helpful to know your opinion, and very important for me that I can use the HD4000, Im sure I prefer the extra price for SSD bigger, best board, but not to an dedicate graphic card, at least at this time.

Thanks Pandar for your idea.
regards.

And what about the processor? Is really the i7 3770k extra power for audio applications it's not differences with the i5 3570k because hyper-threading is more efficient in video applications, renders?
I don't know if this is exactly of this way, a lot of people including resellers of computer's components, told me an i7 3770k brings extra capabilities, where the audio applications don't receive that extra.
I don't care to buy the i7 3770k, I think is the best processor overall gigabyte board, but I don want pay extra money for this one, if the results I can obtain are the same or very similar.
Yet the i7 is the first option for me, if nobody tell me, that the differences between i7 and i5 are not for audio applications.
Thanks.

Hi all!

The HD4000 works pretty well, but since I'm using three displays, a dedicated graphic adapter works better for me. Anyway if you use just one display the HD4000 is more than enough. I didn't try its performance with two displays.

Regarding BIOS settings, I will update the OP soon with updated screenshots for BIOS version F15q (although it's a beta version, it's almost sure it'll be official very soon).

Pro Tools users: there is a special setting regarding CPU in BIOS. Everything related to C-states should be disabled for optimal performance and stability, as well as some other setting I can't remember right now. These settings are recommended by Avid and will be reflected both in the OP and in the BIOS screen captures soon.

Hope it helps!

Nice solid build!

The HD4000 works pretty well, but since I'm using three displays, a dedicated graphic adapter works better for me. Anyway if you use just one display the HD4000 is more than enough. I didn't try its performance with two displays.
The HD4000 works great with two displays, and your board should be able to handle three. On my UP5 TH board I'm actually using both the HD4000 and the GTX 650 (same model as you) driving multiple monitors.

Regarding BIOS settings, I will update the OP soon with updated screenshots for BIOS version F15q
Before you go into the BIOS, unplug any USB drives but connect one USB stick in FAT32 format. Then from within the BIOS you can save screenshots (as BMP files which you can turn into JPEGs later). Easier/neater than taking photos of the screen. :)

Regarding the Ethernet connection, there are updated drivers in the recent versions of MultiBeast. Hopefully you should be able to get both the Atheros and Intel ports working. On a different machine using Atheros I've actually managed 115 MB/s copying files from a Mac mini (I was shocked!).

Thanks to all for comments, that's helpful for me, I want, start my Hackintosh build soon, but I had the previous questions in this post.
I assume, the GA-Z77X-UD5H, GA-Z77X-UD5P TH are the best options at this moment, to build a Hackintosh.
I don't need at this moment a powerful video card, my Hackintosh, will be a workstation, (no games, and don't need wireless connection) only connect the Hackintosh if I need online updates, but I now, in this boards, I can connect via wireles, without problems. Just now, I am deciding the principal components (Board, Processor i5 or i7, RAM probably Corsair 16 or 32 Gb, and Power Supply), and leave another options, for the future if I need it.
As ultrazone comments, is possible connect multiples displays, but I did read only can connect displays to the DVI Port, VGA is not supported for Mac OS. I don't be sure if this is of this way, in the case of the GA-Z77X-UD5P TH, maybe can connect one display in the DVI board connector, and two displays more, in the Thunderbolt ports. At this moment I have one display, if in the future I need another one, as DBP comments, I'll try from the board,

Thanks for comments I'll wait for update the OP and screenshots for BIOS version F15q. Thanks for the Pro Tools info.

Newtrack,
I recommend you read BoomR's Golden Builds as he's a profession audio engineer, too, and is using the GA-Z77X-UP5 TH motherboard with an i7-3770K. So, if you're going to get a UP5 TH motherboard, let's not hijack ultrazone's thread with Thunderbolt questions (unless ultrazone doesn't mind). :thumbup:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/golden-bu...core-i7-3770k-ga-z77x-up5-th-16gb-hd4000.html

BTW, the tonymacx86 Forum also has a Music forum section where musicians and recording engineers hang out. http://www.tonymacx86.com/music/ BoomR also has a sticky thread there discussing HD4000 as adequate for recording needs unless you're going to need 3 or 4 monitors. http://www.tonymacx86.com/music/87502-old-dog-new-tricks-using-hd4000-your-pro-audio-daw-builds.html

I'll follow the links for Hackintosh audio applications,thanks to all for comments.

Bump !

Regarding BIOS settings, I will update the OP soon with updated screenshots for BIOS version F15q (although it's a beta version, it's almost sure it'll be official very soon).

BIOS screen captures updated to BIOS F15q.

Pro Tools users: there is a special setting regarding CPU in BIOS. Everything related to C-states should be disabled for optimal performance and stability, as well as some other setting I can't remember right now. These settings are recommended by Avid and will be reflected both in the OP and in the BIOS screen captures soon.

Finally I found this info. Here is the link.

Hey! I am ordering the exact same setup as you. I've been reading and I heard bios f14 was the best way to go and to avoid beta versions. I don't run any crazy programs like pro tools or anything but I do want to overclock to 4.4 like you. If I'm on bios f14 can i copy your bios settings completely? I hope so cause that would help me out so much since I dont know much about bios. Thank you :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back