Contribute
Register

ultrazone's Master Audio Build: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H - Core i7-3770k - 32GB RAM - Gigabyte GTX 650

Status
Not open for further replies.
ultrazone's Master Audio Build: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H - Core i7-3770k - 32GB RAM - 2 x Gigabyte GTX 650

Nice DAW build :)

ultrazone's Master Audio Build: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H - Core i7-3770k - 32GB RAM - 2 x Gigabyte GTX 650

Sweet! I just got a similar hardware setup working for my DAW but I haven't setup any OC yet, nice to have a good overclocking reference for this rig. As we both know, with today's plugins, there is no such thing as too much CPU power.

Hoping to add a UAD Apollo to make good use of the Thunderbolt ports for some proper audio production sizzle :geek:

Cool! I have a similar build to yours which is working great out of the box with only audio and network drivers needed via multibeast.
One thing that is driving me nuts is the Gigabit ethernet issue Im having. No matter what I try I cant get beyond 10MB/s. I have a Gigabit router and have tested with a Macbook Pro and a Win 7 machine, transferring files between those machines I get around 50MB/s max which I still think is slow but is much better than 10MB/s. Have you been able to enable Gigabit ethernet?

Sorry... I haven't been able to enable Gigabit ethernet and in fact I gave up, but...

Since I needed the Gigabit connection for Vienna Ensemble Pro I finally bought the Sonnet Presto GE1000LA-E Gigabit Ethernet Pro PCIe Card (stated in "Components"). Worked OOB and no problems since then. I use this card to connect two computers directly (the other one is also a hackintosh with the same network card) and both computers report 1Gb connection and no issues whatsoever.

I'm explaining this because I don't use the card for browsing the web, home/office networking and so on, so I'm not sure if this card will solve your problem, but in my concrete usage scenario it works like a charm.

There is also a lot of people using it, so I would recommend a search about it.

Hope it helps !

Hi guys I have a (a little off topic) question: my older rig took no time to POST, but this motherboard takes about 7 seconds to beep and show the Gigabyte logo which in my opinion is quite a lot. My P45-ud3l had a "quick boot" option in the bios, but the z77x ud5h doesn't :/
are those times normal? if not, what could be wrong? booting with and without discrete grfx doesn't change, nither would changing the hdd for a newer one.. didn't tried to move ram sticks around since they're placed where the manual says it's better

Thanks Ultrazone. I understand you need a separate NIC for your setup and you have an awesome build by the way but for the amount I shelled out for this motherboard with dual network ports I would hope someone out there has an idea on how to get gigabit speeds. A last resort is to purchase something similar to what you have to get the speeds I need. Thanks for your help. Ill check the forum and see if any other users have been able to get gigabit working with this motherboard.
Cheers!

nice looking powerful beast you have there!
I have recently built a similar audio DAW system with same MB, integrated graphics though, 16GB RAM, i5-3570K.
I have a Presonus Firebox Firewire audio interface that doesn't function without audio drop-outs using the onboard firewire port. For this reason I got one of the recommended Startech firewire PCIe cards but this causes the sleep/wake/shutdown/restart problems so its not ideal although the audio performance is without problems.
So you have no issues with audio drop-outs using the onboard firewire port?

malevo,
I'd post your question in General Help: http://www.tonymacx86.com/general-help/

I have a Presonus Firebox Firewire audio interface that doesn't function without audio drop-outs using the onboard firewire port. For this reason I got one of the recommended Startech firewire PCIe cards but this causes the sleep/wake/shutdown/restart problems so its not ideal although the audio performance is without problems.
So you have no issues with audio drop-outs using the onboard firewire port?

Hi !

In my case I didn't experience audio drop-outs, but random freezes. That's why I tried with the card you mention, but found the sleep/wake/shutdown/restart problem.

It seems like Gigabyte is aware of the problem and they are working on it, but the latest beta BIOS (F15m) is still showing these problems, so I decided to give the 400Mbps version a try, which has been working flawlessly since I installed it. Since I don't need 800Mbps connectivity, I'm going to stay with the 400Mbps card until the problem with these cards is addressed.

So if your audio card is 400Mbps, you could try with the Startech 2 port 400Mbps or another Firewire adapter. For me it is working pretty well. I've added a reference to this card in the OP.

Thanks and cheers from Spain !

Ultrazone,

Congrats on your great build. A very special thank you for the BIOS screen shots and walk-thru!!!!! It gave me the courage to edit my settings on my build - very similar to yours (see my sig). The 3770K really came alive with only minor tweaks!!!! So I have the core voltage setup for the stock value 3.5 Ghz. But I edited my turbo values all up to 44. My Geekbench scores went from 14,502 to 17,014!!!:headbang::lol::headbang::lol::headbang::lol: I also edited the ram speed to 1600 to match the hardware. Here is a link to my Geekbench results: http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench2/1379244

Idles at 25-28 - full load in the mid 70's. Cooled with H100 on medium setting.

Enjoy your new hackintosh in good health!!

Ciao!

Ultrazone,

Congrats on your great build. A very special thank you for the BIOS screen shots and walk-thru!!!!! It gave me the courage to edit my settings on my build - very similar to yours (see my sig). The 3770K really came alive with only minor tweaks!!!! So I have the core voltage setup for the stock value 3.5 Ghz. But I edited my turbo values all up to 44. My Geekbench scores went from 14,502 to 17,014!!!:headbang::lol::headbang::lol::headbang::lol: I also edited the ram speed to 1600 to match the hardware. Here is a link to my Geekbench results: http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench2/1379244

Idles at 25-28 - full load in the mid 70's. Cooled with H100 on medium setting.

Enjoy your new hackintosh in good health!!

Ciao!

Glad to hear that !

Thanks a lot, hope you enjoy your build !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back