Contribute
Register

ULTRA MINIMUM Essentials only Bootloader?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-X99-SOCFORCE-F22-Clover
CPU
i7-5960x (updated from 5930k)
Graphics
Radeon Rx 580 AMD
Mac
  1. iMac
Hi All,

Second hackintosh build, new ssd etc.

Previous build i left the USB in and didnt install any bootloader (using it to boot every time) and everything worked 100% PERFECTLY all the time without ANY additional installs needed. (all hardw chosen for default support in osx). When bootloader installed all hell broke loose and took ages to get it to 90% of what it was before a bootloader was installed.

This time though i dont want that and still use usb.

Does anyone know of a bootloader thats ULTRA basic, or what i need to do just to get the machine to boot without a USB (and not overwrite kexts etc that already work perfectly) ?

Thanks all!

Hi All,

Second hackintosh build, new ssd etc.

Previous build i left the USB in and didnt install any bootloader (using it to boot every time) and everything worked 100% PERFECTLY all the time without ANY additional installs needed. (all hardw chosen for default support in osx).

You were actually loading a bunch of kexts installed to the USB's /Extra/Extensions folder.

When bootloader installed all hell broke loose and took ages to get it to 90% of what it was before a bootloader was installed.

Once you transition to HDD-based boot loader, you're back to vanilla install just as the system would be on a real Mac. Of course, for most machines, this is not going to work. You need various drivers, patches, etc. to make the system work. This is why transitioning from USB boot loader to boot loader on your HDD is such a big transition. The USB stick is set up to be very generic, but not optimal.

This time though i dont want that and still use usb.

Does anyone know of a bootloader thats ULTRA basic, or what i need to do just to get the machine to boot without a USB (and not overwrite kexts etc that already work perfectly) ?

Most boot loaders are "basic" if you're talking purely about the boot loader. It is the job of the boot loader to run the system as installed. As you're finding out, it is more than the boot loader that you're talking about here -- you're actually referring to the fact that the Unibeast USB stick contains a number of drivers pre-installed to make it easy to get into the OS X installer.

After that, the idea is to match drivers with your hardware to get an optimized system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back