Contribute
Register

Ultra-High-End Audio Interface (except PTHD)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-Z77-DS3H rev. 1.1
CPU
Intel Core i7 3770
Graphics
Nvidia GTX 650 OC
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Hi, i use my Customac exclusively for Pro Tools (v10.3.7&v11.0.2). In the near future i am going to buy a 'high-end' audio interface

The goal for me is to make the best possible recordings. I am a producer and composer and i will use my studio only for recording not for mixing and mastering. I will record mainly jazz/classical/contemporary classical - instrumental music.

Pro Tools HD solutions are out of budget and also, the Avid HD converters, although they are great pieces of gear and widely used, are not unbeatable from some other hi-end alternatives like Apogee, Prism etc.

My main concern is the converter quality, expandability and of course the interaction with the hackintosh machine.

I have narrowed my choice between Metric Halo Lio-8 and Apogee Symphony i/o. I use external mic pres and i will need max 8 channels for now.

Any other recommendations? Or any Apogee, Metric Halo, Prism users out there?

Thanks in advance

I use a couple of Apogee Trak 2's in my room connected too Pro Toos HD cards, they are lovely sounding.

If I was going to drop some cash at the moment I would be looking at the Lynx Hilo (only 2 channels of AD but has ADAT) or the Antelope Orion. The Orion offers many more channels but the Hilo has a killer feature set and sounds amazing. Th RME UFX is also a really nice interface that can easily hold it own with interfaces costing twice as much.

Thanks a lot for your response, happy to hear that you use Apogee converters. Actually, after a lot of research i find Apogee's new Symphony i/o quite attractive and has some benefits that i cannot ignore like the modular design and sophisticated expandability.

Today the scene of my interface search changed because a good friend of mine, announced me that he is going to update his studio to HDX so in the near future he will sell his HD2 system to me at a very low price.

So, maybe something like apogee symphony or lynx studio is better i guess.

Thanks again for the reply.

If I/O is what you need the Orion is prob not going to let you down. metric halo stuff and the prism orpheus sounds amazing. from my experience at least.

BUT:

I have a SSL madixtreme 64 pci card with a alphalink madi ax breakout box. 24 analog i/o plus 24 channels of adat. Using usb/firewire soundcards has always been a major hassle. don't know if it's just me, but getting a pci card system resolved every single buffer/glitching issue. SSL has drivers for osx of course and it has been super stable in my hackintosh. I use it with protools with the prism orpheus hooked with adat to the alphalink. PCI cards just work better in my opinion. no bus problems!

The adda quality in the alphalink may not the very best compared to prism or something like that, but for the money and i/o count (you can get the pci card and the aplhalink as a bundle) it has been nothing but awesome.

i use a uad apollo quad (not super high end, but it has good plug-ins) with a mac mini and it has issues if i have logic running and the computer goes to sleep. i'm looking to build a 2011 socket computer and might just stay on windows since i don't want more sleep related problems lol

i had an apogee ensemble before that and it worked pretty bad on osx 10.4 (tiger) before i upgraded to 10.6 (sno leo). now i'm not sure if apogee is going to continue to support them. i'm not an experienced h4x builder but driver issues in osx could be a problem for stability that would be my #1 concern

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back