Contribute
Register

UK Parts Providers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Part of the issue you face is that we have a limited amount of hardware we can use, particularly when it comes to the likes of dual cpu setups and suchlike.

Hence me wanting to go down the route of a true Apple board that supports dual cpu's and if going along those lines you may as well go the whole hog and just change the bits that need to be better than a default Mac Pro system ... Or at least that's what my trail of thought was.

Have you considered a supported build with the highest/most powerful configuration ?

Yes, i looked into this, the older single CPUs with much better supported chipsets can get pretty close to what i already have performance wise, but they tend to suffer from poor memory capacity as in 16gb or 32gb. I am already using 32Gb but have the option to go more when needed, and this getting closer and closer.

The newer 2011-v3 CPU's offer tremendous performance but then i would need new RAM and the chipsets as you point out are somewhat difficult to get fully working. Another plus for the v3 processors are the amount of cores/threads they deliver, however they get super expensive too, and on a single CPU board if it goes pop the whole system is dead until you can afford a replacement.

I think where my problem lies is that i have managed to plaster myself into a corner. If i can figure a way of getting Yosemite or El Capitan happy on this board with good stability then it really does have lots of potential left in it with better CPU's and more RAM.

I got spoilt by my other (now sold on) Hackintosh that was on an i7-4790K and a gigabyte board. Everything worked fine, including sound. But .... The greed and the need for extra performance took me down this path, so i guess the moral is, if it aint broke don't sell it !!

Martin

IOPciFamily.kext - I have to hack that and change it's version from 2.7 to 2.9 to get it to play with Yosemite but then WiFi dies, not too important, but the major downer is 3rd_Party_SATA then can't see past the USB Hub to see my external ICY Box hard drives. Tried it as eSATA and USB3 with no joy and of course no audio. There are other issues to with ACPI and AGP.

I was kinda hoping that when the 2013 Mac Pro arrived with it using 2011-v2 E526xx series processors things were going to get better supported ... Famous last words et al

Martin

IOPciFamily.kext - I have to hack that and change it's version from 2.7 to 2.9 to get it to play with Yosemite but then WiFi dies, not too important, but the major downer is 3rd_Party_SATA then can't see past the USB Hub to see my external ICY Box hard drives. Tried it as eSATA and USB3 with no joy and of course no audio. There are other issues to with ACPI and AGP.

I was kinda hoping that when the 2013 Mac Pro arrived with it using 2011-v2 E526xx series processors things were going to get better supported ... Famous last words et al

Martin

I havent used such an exotic setup, but I would be tempted to repeat the exact install procedure you used previously, then just work through each error in turn.

I will be ok once i have finished with beta testing software titles, then I can devote more time to tweaking it - Yosemite is doable but keeping it stable and happy is where the work comes into it, hopefully El Capitan will iron out some of the issues. If not then a good head banging session and the console manager are going to be the call of the next few days/weeks :)

Martin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back