Motherboard
ASUS Z9PE-D8 WS
CPU
Dual E5-2680 v1
Graphics
GTX660 Ti
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Would be great if us UK Mac users could start a list of good quality spare part providers.

I am planning to build a Mac Pro 2010/2012 from scratch so could really do with some help sourcing parts. I still intend it to be a custom build and will no doubt be needing help along the way. The first call of help is for part providers other than E-Bay.

Thanks guys :)

Martin

Would be great if us UK Mac users could start a list of good quality spare part providers.

I am planning to build a Mac Pro 2010/2012 from scratch so could really do with some help sourcing parts. I still intend it to be a custom build and will no doubt be needing help along the way. The first call of help is for part providers other than E-Bay.

Thanks guys :)

Martin

The Buyers Guide does contain UK links to Amazon etc.

The Buyers Guide does contain UK links to Amazon etc.

It does indeed thanks Wonkey Donkey - I will look at it more closely as i did not notice any Mac Pro cases or motherboards etc .... Maybe i missed them or looked in the wrong place :)

Martin

It does indeed thanks Wonkey Donkey - I will look at it more closely as i did not notice any Mac Pro cases or motherboards etc .... Maybe i missed them or looked in the wrong place :)

Martin

The links are for the known working parts listed in the Buyers Guide. You *can* go beyond that, but this is at your own risk, and is not guaranteed to work.

You can also check out the 'Golden Builds' section of the forum. That lists particularly well put together builds, and you can use them as a starting point for your own rig if needed.

:thumbup:

The links are for the known working parts listed in the Buyers Guide. You *can* go beyond that, but this is at your own risk, and is not guaranteed to work.

I am looking for Apple Mac Pro parts - Wanting to build myself a more 'True" build - So still wanting to customise it along the lines of better graphics card and 32 threaded rather than 24. So it will probably still need Uni/Multi beasts but really want it to be as much as possible a true mac. I could purchase a second hand reconditioned graphics workstation specced one, but they still charge really stupid money over here for them so needing to source the parts :/

You can also check out the 'Golden Builds' section of the forum. That lists particularly well put together builds, and you can use them as a starting point for your own rig if needed.

Thanks for the pointer - will go check them out in a bit :)

Martin

I am looking for Apple Mac Pro parts - Wanting to build myself a more 'True" build - So still wanting to customise it along the lines of better graphics card and 32 threaded rather than 24. So it will probably still need Uni/Multi beasts but really want it to be as much as possible a true mac. I could purchase a second hand reconditioned graphics workstation specced one, but they still charge really stupid money over here for them so needing to source the parts :/

Thanks for the pointer - will go check them out in a bit :)

Martin

If you look hard enough, you can find original Apple parts that are used. Peripheral parts are usually ok and can be made to work; chassis & parts are the subject of many customized builds. If you are thinking of mainboards, then dont. Period.

There are many X99 and workstation class builds in the forums, just dig and you will find them.

:thumbup:

Thanks for the reply Wonkey Donkey ... Please forgive my ignorance but I am a tad confused by your statement

If you are thinking of mainboards, then dont. Period.

If i build from original parts and only change the CPU's & the graphics card and possibly add liquid cooling, why is this not possible ?

Have i missed something i should have noticed when checking Mac specs that prevents this ?

Sorry to come across as a bit stupid here, I am just confused :roll2:

Martin

Thanks for the reply Wonkey Donkey ... Please forgive my ignorance but I am a tad confused by your statement

If i build from original parts and only change the CPU's & the graphics card and possibly add liquid cooling, why is this not possible ?

Have i missed something i should have noticed when checking Mac specs that prevents this ?

Sorry to come across as a bit stupid here, I am just confused :roll2:

Martin

I was referring to original Apple mainboards. That kinda defeats the whole idea of building a hack I think. And even if you were to get such a board to work, you would have little flexibility, no bios settings to tweak etc. What would be the point ?

I was referring to original Apple mainboards. That kinda defeats the whole idea of building a hack I think. And even if you were to get such a board to work, you would have little flexibility, no bios settings to tweak etc. What would be the point ?

Ah - Now i see the angle you're coming from... I already have a Dual Xeon E5 CPU Asus Hackintosh, but with Yosemite a lot of the hardware is not supported and i seem to be having to apply hacks on top of hacks to get it to just run. It's fine with Mavericks but the software i use is getting close to being unsupported, even the latest Xcode won't run on Mavericks.

I know it's easier to say "then buy a real Mac Pro" but as stated in my original post the specs i want to go to make it ridiculously expensive to purchase from somewhere that does refurbs so i was hoping to build one over a period of months and hopefully have it working before my software makes mavericks redundant.

I could build possibly build a new 2011v3 Hackintosh but don't want to be in the same cycle as this every two years and suffering broken drivers with what seems to be every update to OS X. Maybe I am getting too old or something but I can't even follow how to get HDMI audio working - LOL

Maybe we should just delete this thread (not sulking) as it seems to be a non goer and is not really adding any benefit to anybody else reading this - What do you reckon ?

Martin

I'm sure other guys out there might be thinking along the same lines as you, and for that reason, its better this thread stays. This entire site is about sharing information and knowledge and experience and a place to seek help when you need it.

Part of the issue you face is that we have a limited amount of hardware we can use, particularly when it comes to the likes of dual cpu setups and suchlike.

Some people have powerful X99 builds running fairly well, but ultimately the hardware is not fully supported, hence the position you are in now.

Have you considered a supported build with the highest/most powerful configuration ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back