Contribute
Register

UHD630 frequency stuck at minimum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Screen Shot 2021-12-18 at 11.49.56 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-12-18 at 11.49.31 PM.png

OK, that makes more sense. The IGPU is already maxing out at 0.38-0.40Ghz.

So fixing the minor issues I saw regarding the use of GPU & IGPU ACPI renames and having WhateverGreen.kext in your OC setup/config.plist won't make any difference to the way the IGPU works in FCPX.

The 'fix' - Have you used a Framebuffer for a system that uses the IGPU to drive a display to increase the IGPU output to 1.20GHz?

The 'fix' - Have you used a Framebuffer for a system that uses the IGPU to drive a display to increase the IGPU output to 1.20GHz?

Try boot args: igfxrpsc=1 igfxfw=2 igfxmetal=1

Been working on a Dell Inspiron 13 5379 with a UHD 620. I was getting abysmal results in performance while playing back a 4K video stream referenced in this post by @CaseySJ. Without any boot fags, I was getting extremely choppy playback which made the video unwatchable. Looking at the GFX AVG on the Intel Power Gadget, the green GFX meter mostly hung out at or very near zero with occasional spikes to about 0.3 and only while moving around the playback head. I tried all of the boot arguments (together at first), and then one at a time. For the UHD 620
Code:
igfxrpsc=1
makes the biggest difference. I got smooth playback with no jitter at all and GFX acceleration going all the way up to 1.29 at times.

HOWEVER, this comes at a fairly heavy cost. I do audio production and live mixing and so I try and squeeze everything I can out of my gear. I ran the New Logic Benchmark Test 2 found on music-prod.com and my track count is negatively affected by some 10-20% compared to no boot flags.

It appears that when the above boot flag is present, macOS not only prioritizes, but rather, reserves CPU power for running GPU-related tasks.

Been working on a Dell Inspiron 13 5379 with a UHD 620. I was getting abysmal results in performance while playing back a 4K video stream referenced in this post by @CaseySJ. Without any boot fags, I was getting extremely choppy playback which made the video unwatchable. Looking at the GFX AVG on the Intel Power Gadget, the green GFX meter mostly hung out at or very near zero with occasional spikes to about 0.3 and only while moving around the playback head. I tried all of the boot arguments (together at first), and then one at a time. For the UHD 620
Code:
igfxrpsc=1
makes the biggest difference. I got smooth playback with no jitter at all and GFX acceleration going all the way up to 1.29 at times.

HOWEVER, this comes at a fairly heavy cost. I do audio production and live mixing and so I try and squeeze everything I can out of my gear. I ran the New Logic Benchmark Test 2 found on music-prod.com and my track count is negatively affected by some 10-20% compared to no boot flags.

It appears that when the above boot flag is present, macOS not only prioritizes, but rather, reserves CPU power for running GPU-related tasks.

Does it affect your battery life as well?

I'll have to check. I was plugged in the whole time.

On my laptop, those boot args caused battery life to be approx 50% of normal.

On my laptop, those boot args caused battery life to be approx 50% of normal.
No significant impact on battery. I'm 4 hours in and have 33% left on a 42Ah Dell battery. Screen on full brightness the entire time, mixed use with some YouTube at times, but mostly safari, terminal, finder, OpenCore, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back